How many sports players are actually smart in others things

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

KajolThappar
STARTING OUT

How many sports players are actually smart in others things

Post by KajolThappar »

I've met alot of dumb sports players and was wondering how many sports players have a degree in something other than PE, Sociology, Psychology or any jock majors
wleemitch
STARTING OUT

Re: How many sports players are actually smart in others things

Post by wleemitch »

Wouldn't say they're dumb... depending on the sport the culture varies a bit. Most of those athletes you call dumb
have the mindset that they're going pro and exert less effort in the class room or major in something that will
allow them to place more focus on sport.

I'd be as bold as to say having a degree doesn't always mean being intelligent as well.
kukagra
STARTING OUT

Post by kukagra »

Ha you got me. I am not the brightest knife in the crayon box to say the least. I only passed high school because when I was failing a class all I had to do was tell the teacher if I failed I would not be able to play a sport the following season. I don't have a degree and I don't plan on getting one. knowledge is of the human body and more specifically body. I know what I need to eat when I need to eat how an exercise is affecting me the very moment I am doing a rep. I know when I need to sleep and take a day off. I have a vast knowledge of exercises nutrition plans that work for me. Well I just realized I may not be that dumb i spent thousands of hours reading about fitness and even more time doing field research and experiments to find own results just as any physicist has done for the motion of electron gravitating around a nucleus only I have done it for the motion of body. I don't think jocks are dumb they are just experts in a different field then what you think is important.
Garenius
STARTING OUT

Post by Garenius »

With the current scholarship system, sports players don't actually have to be smart in anything else. Although I recently heard that NBA players Stephen Curry and John Wall are finishing their degrees...and Shaq also has an MBA apparently.
Last edited by Garenius on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

MBA, you mean Massive Basketball playing Ability :P.

That actually doesnt suprise me, that some sportspeople don't need to be very inteliigent or scholarly to get scholarships in sport, I mean some sports like Basketball don't have a complicated scoring system, but I would think as long as someone passsed a basic english and Maths test, they'd be relatively okay for some sports scholarships I would think. I mean what's the point of discriminating agaisnt talented people, because they don't read Shakespeare and suck at Algebra?

Well you can spell some eight letter words, count to one hundred and boy you hit some baseballs 100 yards, when can you sign a deal :wink:.

Let's face it, Wayne Rooney is less likely to get a real degree than Father Christmas and Father Christmas isn't even real.

However if there's any kids watching this, he is real and what I said might have been a lie, because sometimes grown-ups do lie.

Oops doubly controversial :wink:
GMohawk
STARTING OUT

Post by GMohawk »

Not all athletes are just dumb jocks. I've heard of NBA players going back to college after being drafted early. Here is a list of some NFL players that got degrees, their not all brain dead.

http://about.myedu.com/blog/top-nfl-pla ... grees.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Agreed. Some sportspeople are well educated.
malandi87
STARTING OUT

Post by malandi87 »

There is no dumb person. Have you read about multiple intelligence? Human brain does not only function for thinking. There are 8 known intelligence. Very few individuals could have all 8 but an person could be good at atleast one. Athletes are good in there bodily-kinesthetic intelligence.