How to increase jumps?

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

MF_rogue
STARTING OUT

How to increase jumps?

Post by MF_rogue »

I've tried to be athletic for few years now and everything I try to do - I've gotten a bit better at it, except jumping skills. I literally FaiL at jumping (high jumps or long jumps - I'm really tall with long legs so I should be good at jumping, WRONG... high jumps are still kind of okay, but long jumps are awful - I jump worse than some girls in class and that's really frustrating). Is there any like specific exercise I can do to improve jump - for beginning I would love to try and jump higher... Do I just try to jump randomly every day or do specific exercises (I already have strong legs and core cause I've been working out all summer, but I don't think that it's good enough)?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How to increase jumps?

Post by Boss Man »

It comes down to things like the right kind of footwear and to some extent strength.

Perhaps try doing things like psrints, to better condition the explosive fast twitch muscle fibres in your Legs, which could have a positive knock on effect to your jumps.
dahulkinator
STARTING OUT

Post by dahulkinator »

Boss Man wrote:It comes down to things like the right kind of footwear and to some extent strength.

Perhaps try doing things like psrints, to better condition the explosive fast twitch muscle fibres in your Legs, which could have a positive knock on effect to your jumps.
This is good advice, except for the part on footwear and not strength. What you need is explosive strength. Continually jumping, using ankle weights. Set up a platform that is about as high as you can jump and do it until you can't (then until it becomes easy.) It's all about those fast twitch fibers.

This post may be of interest to you: http://fiending-fitness.blogspot.com/20 ... g-how.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Firstly I didn't say "not strength", I said footwear and to some extent strength, sop tehr ewas some emphasis on strength in relation ot vertical jumps :).

Also I believe Ankle weights are not good, because they may stress the joints.
rohanjain
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by rohanjain »

The basic tips to increase your jumps-
1.Get the knots out of leg muscles
2.Do bulgarian split squats
3.Practice for depth jumps
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Split squats will help, but any squat and lune move will help, because having more core strength and power in the leg muscles in general will improve vertical jumps.