Boxing Over 50

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

butcherman
STARTING OUT

Boxing Over 50

Post by butcherman »

Anybody here over 50 years old into boxing?

I have been very active all life but succumbed somewhat to work stress and the ravages of time in late 40s, early 50s. Now at 56, I am about one year into a return to vigorous exercise via boxing, mostly now just doing the work outs, building up to sparring.

As I get into this sport more and more, I am amazed more and more at just how incredibly fit a boxer must be. Hitting the heavy bag kills me, but I keep pushing it.

Anybody here got advice or stories to share regarding boxing or boxing workouts at older ages?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Boxing Over 50

Post by Boss Man »

I'm 36, so I can't speak from experience like you can, but the main things are to just do what you can, don't over do it and just be sensible and if you sometimes need a little more rest during sessions than younger people might, take the rest and also just work at your own pace, don't be tempted to over-exert, or do more with the mind that the body cannot do.

People say about many things that it's 20% physical and 80% mental, but the body cannot willingly obey, everything the mind wills it to do, because it has limits.

You will, if you haven't already, find some or all of those limits and it will allow you to work to a level that is tolerable and will not induce elevated physical risk, in relation to one or more things.

So keep pushing, keep believing in yourself, but just use a modicum of common sense :).

Oh and be proud of yourself, for not giving up on yourself and thinking you're too old to do much good with your carcass now, because you're not and people can still achieve quite a lot of physical good, even when they're over 50 and basically starting from scratch

Good luck :).
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

I think its a great idea to be active when you become a geezer, and plus you can kick a young man's if you can box
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Depends who it is. If the younger guy also boxes, or is someone like a martial arts grand master, the old geezer could still get a pasting :P.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

I am over 50, a Black belt martial artist, and teach boxing and kickboxing to younger and older folks and I commend you. If I had to pick 1 single best exercise it would be kickboxing training, but boxing is a close second. Think about what you get aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. Balance, coordination, strength, even flexibility. Add a boot camp type of workout to it with push-ups, pull-ups, heavy ropes, jump ropes, medicine ball squats and crunches oh , I getting excited. When you do get into sparring, keep it light, wear headgear and a mouth piece, keep your head down, use your jab and kick some .
Best,