I want to be a junior college athlete.

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kukagra
STARTING OUT

I want to be a junior college athlete.

Post by kukagra »

I am 25 years old. When I was in high school I was a three sport athlete American Football, wrestling and track. As a senior I was one of the top ranked recruits for position for football in the state I live in. I also ran the 3200 in track the funny thing was is that I weigh 245lbs and was on the JV squad for that. I do have people in family that were able to compete in college track and did well, so I may have also inherited some endurance traits genetically as well.

I know that ultimately I would like to do either track or football in college before I get too old. I know that I have to make the decision on which one. I REALLY want to do track mainly for the reason that I will not have to hit as hard as I remember in high school. But I KNOW I can compete in football at the college level.

I know that I have to choose one now so that I can do the proper training for that sport.

I just don't know if I am being realistic with myself when I think about doing track though. I weigh 285lbs and I would have to get down to about 135-145lbs to be able to compete at that level. I really don't know how many years it would take for me to lose that kinda weight and the cardio becomes a factor too. fastest 3200 was like 16:32 at 245 lbs.

Really all that I want to know is if I am just being delusional in hoping that I can train at age and size and do track at the junior college level before physique starts to decline? I know that for the 1600 I would have to run about 4:12 to be competitive in the race or probably even make the team for that matter but IDK about the 3200 times.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: I want to be a junior college athlete.

Post by Boss Man »

Perfectly feasible to do what you're talking about.

Diet would obviously be the key area to address.

What meals do you eat and what times do you eat?
kukagra
STARTING OUT

Post by kukagra »

Honestly, it is always a random meals, but even though I know how to eat to lose weight and optimize physical performance doesn't mean I do it. I just didn't really think I was being honest with myself when I said I could run track for local community college. I just started thinking that at age I would train for years and by the time I would get close body would start to go do hill and not reach it's peak anymore and that would mean I would not be able to run because I was just too old. I know the weight loss will be hard but really it doesn't concern me as much as "how fast can it get in X amount of years." I have a good amount of knowledge when I comes to nutrition and working out I just haven't practiced fitness since I was 21.

But if you really just want to know what I typically eat it could be anything from grilled cheese and quesadillas, to a variety of fruits and vegatables, I drink a lot of 2% milk, eggs, all types of meats, pastas, oatmeal, grits, soups, sushi, candy, nuts and beans. Basically if it is edible I eat it. I do have a plan of what to eat when I try to lose the weight and also a plan for what to eat when I am trying to max out performance. The meal I just ate was potato beans and pasta.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

In light of what you just said then I would suggest a 6 meal strategy with meals spaced around 2.5-3 hours apart and just use the knowledge that you already have, as your food options are all good.

If you want to exercise as well, then bearing in mind sedentary males need around 2,000 calories a day, I'd suggest in the region of 2,500-2,800.

Hopefully your knowledge coupled with that framework, should start to yield results.

If you need anything else feel free to ask us and please do keep us posted won't you, so we can see how you get on, because it's as much a form of education for many of us, as it is for you.