What sports would you consider to be safe and dangerous?

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kitson
STARTING OUT

What sports would you consider to be safe and dangerous?

Post by kitson »

List 3 safe sports and 3 dangerous sports ( or more if you want too ! )
Obviously all sports carry a risk, but some are more dangerous then others. For example, rugby is a lot more dangerous then ballroom dancing.
zenphitness
STARTING OUT

Re: What sports would you consider to be safe and dangerous?

Post by zenphitness »

All sports are dangerous, or all sports are safe. It depends on your outlook or perceptional premise. Any way you differentiate between sports or any activity for that matter, could be taken to its extreme which would be that either all activity, all of which could result in injury or death, is dangerous, or, all activity, which is fun and meaningful and we all get hurt sometimes, and die anyway, therefore all activity is safe.

That sounded really douchie when I wrote it out, and yes, I know some sports are safer than others, so here are picks (based on whether or not I have ever been injured playing them)

Safe: Rugby, Ice Hockey

Dangerous: Swimming, Rock climbing, baseball, soccer

http://www.zenphitness.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

3 Dangerous sports.

1. Australian rules football. It obviously has rules, but from what I've heard, probably not enough :wink:.

2. Cliff Diving.

3. Wearing a T-shirt with "I heart", then Hillary Clinton's face on it, in an Alabama town full of gun toting Redneck's :wink:

Okay a whimsical response.

3. This one is genuine. Russian Roulette, though some may argue it's a game, rather than a sport.
kitson
STARTING OUT

Post by kitson »

Thanks for your replies.
Yes,every sport may be dangerous.What sports you often do?
Garenius
STARTING OUT

Post by Garenius »

Dangerous would be anything that has extreme on the tag.

As well as American Football, I've read somewhere that there is a 100% injury rate for the sport, yet it doesn't seem that the number of volunteers are decreasing.

Safest... well all sports have the potential to wreck your own body but I think things such as yoga or pilates should be fine, if one considers that a sport.

Body Sharp
http://www.bodysharp.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You have never heard of "Extreme Ironing" then I take it :wink:. People Ironing on the top of hills or peaks on some occasions, but they don't slide down them on the board after finishing, as far as I know.

Not dangerous, depending on the method used.

Extreme Ironing. More Pics
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Haha! I love that Extreme Ironing!

As I used to talk about constantly - I did Muay Thai and trail running for 2 years and was injured all the time, but I think it could have been avoided if I wasn't overtraining.

Here's list:

More Dangerous:
Boxing (only sports-related question on Canadian life insurance applications)
Luge
Rock Climbing
Rugby
Free Diving (that's without scuba gear... :shock: )
Surfing
Downhill Skiing/Snowboarding

More Safe:
Golf
Swimming (low impact exercise, high supervision rate, easy access to help)
Walking/Hiking in populated areas
Weight lifting (technical, precise, calculated, controlled environment)
Volleyball
Badminton
Tennis
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You'd have to hope golf was more safe than downhill skiing or luge or the stats people who work on these sorts of things, would be in serious danger of unemployment :wink:.
Jeff85
STARTING OUT

Post by Jeff85 »

The 3 safest sports in opinion are table tennis (ping pong), swimming, and billiards (pool) because it is virtually impossible to get hurt doing the sports unless a freak accident occurs. The most dangerous sports are car racing, football, hockey, and fighting sports (MMA, boxing, wrestling) because almost every game, race, or match someone gets hit or crashes so there is a very high chance of getting hurt.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

There is a risk of drowning with swimming, particularly if for some obscure reason, the individual passed out or blacked out, but in normal circumstances and especially with pro swimmers, who know how to avoid chugging water when they swim, this shouldn't happen, but realistically unless someone got over excited playing table tennis and suffered a fatal heart attack, table tennis must surely be potentially the least lethal or painful sport going.

Having said that though, I've never heard of any serious gut barging injuries :wink:
Jeff85
STARTING OUT

Post by Jeff85 »

Like you said, pro swimmers know how to avoid sucking in a bunch of water and even in lesser competition of swimming like in high school, there are life guards on hand or at least some sort of help if a blackout does occur. Another good safe sport you can put down instead of swimming is croquette. No ones getting hurt there unless you walk into someones back swing.
GMohawk
STARTING OUT

Post by GMohawk »

The Top 3 Dangerous Sports are:
1.Free lance climbing
2.Rugby
3.Lacrosse
Free lance climbing seems like the most dangerous sport because you are climbing up a mountain or structure with nothing attached to you and I'm already deathly afraid of heights.
Rugby is so dangerous because these players go head on all out hitting with barely any protection at all.
Lacrosse players hit like American football but with less pads and they can use their sticks to smack the ball out and other players.

The Top 3 Safest Sports are:
1.Chess
2.Ping Pong
3.Archery
Chess is impossible to get hurt in, unless you get into a physical fight with your opponent.
You cannot get hurt playing ping pong unless you dive to get a ball or fall down making a hard to get shot.
In archery you are shooting at a target with a bow and arrow so unless someone is by the target no one should get hurt.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Rugby isn't quite as dangerous as some think, but you do get standard injuries like broken toes, patella tendon issues, cruciate ligament issues, hamstring issues etcand occasionally a facial injury, but in many games you might get all the players completing the full duration without any incidences.

Personally I've never been that into it. It has never really gripped me in the way some other sports do.
GMohawk
STARTING OUT

Post by GMohawk »

Yeah, I've never watched a full rugby game. The only times I've watched I was lost and didn't understand what was going on, but the games were super physical that I watched in South Africa. Never got into the sport at all.
watkinsc
STARTING OUT

Post by watkinsc »

Rugby looks physical but there are very few life threatening injuries.

Obviously free climbing has a pretty high death rate - as does base jumping.

Surfing can be very dangerous when you surf heavy waves above shallow reef (aka Teahupoo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7woVTuN8k3c)

Obviously the extreme sports are very dangerous but I reckon the most dangerous that is more 'mainstream' is probably skiing. The amount of knees / hips /shoulders that have seriosu damage done to them because of a family holiday is ridiculous!