Pushup problems

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

dahigi
STARTING OUT

Pushup problems

Post by dahigi »

I am training to join the military, and I am having problems with pushups. I have been working hard for the past 3 months training to increase pushups, pullups, situps, running, etc. and I can't no matter what techniques I use increase body weight calisthenic exercises. I can do about 25 pushups, and I cant increase them. I have tryed different workout schedules, techniques etc, such as doing tons of pushups throughout the week (about 1000 or more) and then letting body rebuild for 4-5 days. I did this twice in a row and didn't increase by 1 pushup. I have tried extended range of motion, and gravity pushups, where i push off a raised bar that lets me come down farther, and going very slow down, fighting gravity before i come up, and have done that for a while, no increase what so ever. I have good form, and its frustrating. I am 6'1", 170 lbs and this is driving me nuts, anyone ever experienced problems like this?
dahigi
STARTING OUT

Re: Pushup problems

Post by dahigi »

And: would it be wiser to focus on higher rep, but lower difficulty? such as raised pushups off a bench or something similar, or should i be foced on lower rep, high difficulty such as weighted/inverted pushups?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Focusing on diet might be a better way. If you don't eat enough to promote growth, no training regime will give it to you and you sound like someone that should perhaps focus on that now, if repeated training changes are yielding little to nothing.
Bluequartz12
STARTING OUT

Post by Bluequartz12 »

I am not sure why you are not increasing in push ups. Normally if I practice long enough I could get to fifty of them or so. Of course it would take a lot of practice to get that high. I’ve done this when I did not have access to other exercise equipment. But for someone like me I need more exercise to keep interest.

When you’re on a bench press you might assume that it takes mostly the chest muscles to perform that activity of bench press. But actually your triceps and shoulder is doing a lot of the lifting. In that case it also means one should be doing Triceps and shoulders not just bench press to achieve higher numbers on the bench.

In Push ups you are using your back since you are pushing off the ground. Push ups work more on the back than they do the chest as bench press. But push ups depends also a lot on triceps power. One of the best exercises for triceps is dips. Dips not only help the triceps but they are also good for the shoulders. Try to find an area where you can do dips. See if you can variate between sometimes doing a wider hold on the bars and a narrower on the bars.

You can also do push ups by placing your hands touching side by side being narrow that focuses more on triceps. Including this you may need a pair of dumbbells to do more triceps exercises. Because when it comes to benching and push ups your triceps really need to hold up. Think also about how much rest you take in between each set. If you jump into the next set too quickly it will be too hard to get to a high number. Longer rests in between may allow you to do more in each set a rest a couple or so minutes at a time when I do high reps.

Anything sooner I won’t be able to get in many reps on the next set unless you are doing a double or triple set of exercises. If you had access to a bench press I would say to use this. When I can bench a good number of weight I am able to do a one hand push ups. Right now after 3 years I am back I training. next bench will be 205. I would also encourage you do more back exercises and shoulders. The more muscle you have to back you up helps each pushup. I learn from an expert power lifter how important others muscles play roles in reps.

Your muscle works in conjunction depending on one another to do a lift or a pull at the same time. Each muscle in those groups all make a reaction to how well it responds. In likewise your car may be geared up at home. Your car can go sixty miles in 3 seconds. Take the air out of one and the car won’t move now. The car has conjunction even also your muscles. It takes a variety of muscles to do pushups. So you should add more exercise to strengthen them. They should hold up well. When you do pushups or any exercise in general.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

One thing to consider is over training. Make sure you are only hitting these muscle groups twice a week. Muscle requires 4-7 days for full recovery. Do push-ups and pull-ups on the same day (they are a system) as you will get better activation and results. Make sure your post workout meal is 4/1 carbohydrate to protein ratio with no or little fat consumed within an hour after exercise. If you aren't nutritionally sound you won't be at your best. Lastly, vary your workouts to avoid plateaus.
Best,

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Hollywood
jgerard
STARTING OUT

Post by jgerard »

I agree with a few of the others that diet and proper training are the areas to look at. Make sure your caloric intake is even to how much you are burning. And if you over train you are not going to increase you muscle strength.