Am I on the right way to increasing vertical?

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

nitroskim
STARTING OUT

Am I on the right way to increasing vertical?

Post by nitroskim »

Hi, I have been playing basketball since I was grade 5 but playing the sport was just a hobby back then, now I want to take game to another level by starting with increasing vertical jump.

legs doesn't seem proportional to body for a reason I don't know. But even with thin legs, thighs are hard except near the upper body and the muscles near and in butt are hard.

Before last week I can barely touch the board at school's court even with basketball shoes. But after almost 1 week of squatting 20x a day, I can now touch 1.5 inches of the boars even with leather shoes.

question is, what more exercises can I add to increase the results of workout?

BTW, the squats I did was with a 40lbs barbel on back, and current weight, vertical, and fat% are as follows 77kg, 19.5", 20.5%

Edit: the only materials that I have here at home are dumbells and an e-curl bar.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Am I on the right way to increasing vertical?

Post by Boss Man »

I'd avoid squats every day as you could burn them out and you might create a significant discrepancy between the quads and hamstrings affectng how you walk.

You'd be better of balancing the workload with 3 sessions of squats a week every other day, add in 3 sessions of lunges as well, then build the rest of the workout around those things.

When you say you have dumbells, how many and what sort of weight are they?
nitroskim
STARTING OUT

Post by nitroskim »

The plates that are available here at home are 4 10lbs 1 20lbs and 1 5lbs and 2 dumbells
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Thne you could try this.

Squats, 2 sets 10 reps.

Lunges, 2 sets 10 reps.

Good mornings, 2 sets 10 reps.

Bench Press, 2 sets 10 reps.

Bent over Rows, 2 sets 10 reps.

Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps.

Planks 30-45 seconds.

You use the larger dumbells for shrugs and use the self assembley barbells for the other sutf.

The rouitne works for 3 days a week, every other day.

If you haven't got a bench, the only way to possibly do bench pressing is to use a thick folded towel on the back to elevate your back and shoulder blades away from the floor to try and prevent or reduce any negative impact on the technique.