Basketball question

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

SkylarkX
STARTING OUT

Basketball question

Post by SkylarkX »

Hello everyone. I'm 18 y/o college student. Please try to answer question without any criticism since I'll doing best after getting a response.
We lost our intra region basketball this year and next year's last shot at it so I'm desperate to win. I'm 6'0 with a lean body. Just started doing 60-70 pushups a day since I'm skinny. I masturbate 6-7 times a day (too much ik) and don't have the explosiveness and balance/agility to perform fast dribbles. Neither am I suited for playing center due to physique and low vertical jump.

So questions.
* Would I be able to increase overall agility and speed with this? https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/s ... ty-workout Got a complete year so time isn't an issue.
* Would excess hinder perfomance? Let go of excess. Let's say even once per day.
* WOULD I EVEN BE ABLE TO DRIBBLE FAST? Because I don't have a firm belief in fruitful training since I've never done it.
* The ring is 10ft above the ground and I'm able to BARELY touch it. Would it be possible to dunk within a year? Would adding a Leg day to gym workout (which I've planned) after exams benefit?

Thank you for listening me out.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Basketball question

Post by Boss Man »

Hi SkylarkX, good to talk to you.

I cannot say whether the self abuse will hinder performance, but it might do, depending on the amount of energy expended, versus the amount of renewable energy from things like carbohydrates and calories you consume and at what amounts and frequency of consumption.

You might possibly increase speed and agility by doing plyometric moves, so it's something to consider at least, even if you don't follow the workout outlined in that video.

Dribbling fast would depend on the way you train and things like power to weight ratio and development of technique, but in theory I think it could be possible to improve your dribbling speed within 12 months.

Dunking within 12 months, could depend on power to weight ratio and also the development of technique, so in theory it could be possible if you keep persevering.

In terms of a leg day it might be worthwhile, but if you do do it, don't do it on a day when you do any plyometric stuff, keep it for a day when you don't and don't do the plyometric stuff every day either, as that's a bit overkill and not really necessary.
SkylarkX
STARTING OUT

Post by SkylarkX »

Could you kindly explain what do you mean by power to weight ratio?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

How much power and strength your body has in relation to how much it weighs.
SkylarkX
STARTING OUT

Post by SkylarkX »

I weigh 68 KG. Can lift dumbells about 7.5 KG each. Can do a leg press at 60 KG. Estimates?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That's hard to say to be honest.

However as you're not used to such things, your body probably couldn't cope with maxing out for 8-10 rep sets in the first week, so you'd be advised to use 4 plates for the first week and add a plate each week and do 8-10 rep sets on it, aiming for at least 2 sets of 8-10 3x a week.

when you've been doing that for a month, keep sneaking the weight up by a bit more and eventually you'll find your own limit.