Basketball

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ChoYongGi
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Basketball

Post by ChoYongGi »

hey everyone i was wondering if u guys can leave any basketball tips because i just started out and i really stink =/ and i love it. Its so fun even though i cant play it well. any help?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

this is a very general question...i love it too and wish i could play...well all you need to do is get a ball and go out and play with it...practice your dribbling and shooting...with your shooting don't practice 3 point shots as you've gotta crawl before you can walk so start from close in and try some lay ups, and little lay ins off the back borad trying to get the angles right
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Try working on Vertical leap, and try working on short sprints as well, as you might be able to better train the Fast Twitch Muscle Fibres that way, which you need for things like accelleration across the court, and Vertical leaps.

Even basic leap stuff, like focusing on a point of a wall, and trying to see if you can get your Finger tips ot touch it. Satrt low, work up. Tatty walls might be best, as you might find focus points, like a small crack, or a weed, or a bit of moss.

Could be things to consider.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

before you can put out foece (jump) you need to be able absorb and produce it so for training just get stronger
Joesportstalk
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Joesportstalk »

Work on your foot work, and defensive body positions first. Learn how to rebound and play defense, set picks ( the basics of the game of course)

Then the skills of ball handling, and shooting will come in time.

If you are trying to be better at the YMCA, local gym, or with some church group. This is what you will need to do to have more fun, and become more competitive and helpful to your team mates.

Basketball is a team sport and all the things I listed are of great value and do not require you to be a superstar in order to help your team win.
sean_pitre
STARTING OUT

Post by sean_pitre »

to jump higher squats and calf raises both with and without weight and also a trampoline the way to get better at jumping is jumping also alot of cardio cause uwant ur goal to b the best and most fit on the court so no one has an edge on u keep ya head up and shoot for the stars peace
mjjdm1985
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: Basketball

Post by mjjdm1985 »

When you work on dribbling make sure you do it with your head up, not looking at the ball. When you play in games keep your head up so you can survey the court and find open players. The best way to get better when you're starting is just to play games with simple goals in mind, like being a team player but working on finding the open spots on the floor. When you're practicing shooting, I agree to start in close and then move your way out, but not quickly to threes. Really work on the shots from about 15 feet in (the free-throw line) in all directions. In games get to where you can hit shots from certain points within that range with regularity. Be a team player and work on getting other people open with on-the-ball and off-the-ball screens in games. "Court vision" is extremely important, when you do something, think about the result that you think will happen. Example: If you set a back screen off the ball so that someone can cut to the basket, is there a good chance he will get an open lay-up or will the pick help the offense flow?
ketti
STARTING OUT

Re: Basketball

Post by ketti »

hi i m new here... please tell me something about the rules and regulations of hockey.....