16,petite slim waist, build muscle

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Shortiee_Carrie
STARTING OUT

16,petite slim waist, build muscle

Post by Shortiee_Carrie »

Hello everyone
I'm Carrie and I'm 16 years old.
goal in the next 5 months till august is to, Slim waist, tighten body, tone and gain muscle without gaining too much weight.
I'm so confused on how I can do this.
Tips and Advice welcome and appreciated
Thanks!
scottgaran
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: 16,petite slim waist, build muscle

Post by scottgaran »

Hey can you post your stats so we can see what we have to work with? Are you over weight, or just a little over weight, skinny, what?
Shortiee_Carrie
STARTING OUT

Hey
of course no problem
height is 4 ft 11 inch and mmy weight is approx 83 lbs.
I wouldnt say im Overweight, im not sure what i am to be honest.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi there :).

Currently even for your height, your a bit underweight. If you were 21 or over, I'd be advising you to not drop below 110lbs. Trust me 110lbs is not overweight by any stretch :).

In the coming years however you will gain some more weight undoubtedly from the physical maturing process.

Gaining muscle is a great thing to want and I whole-heartedly support it. What I would say though is, you would be advised to probably amend your diet and give it time to take effect. You may be undereating and this may have an effect on the strength and quality of your bones, as many of the nutrients in food play a part in bone health including Phosphorus, Magnesium, Calcium, Copper, Vit D, Vit C etc and for now, doing some form of basic Cardio, would be okay, but I'd reccomend you make some improvements to diet, to help your body get more into the right circumstances to promote muscle growth and more bone density improvement through things like weight lifting.

So I'd suggest you do some light Cardio, 3 times a week for now, not weights or any Cardio that might cause heavy impact to the skeleton, as you won't have a fully matured skeleton for about another 12-18 months. In about 4 weeks from now, you could start to increase the cardio intenstiy and add in some weights, providing your dietary regime had been amended and was being adhered to religiously so to speak.

Hopefully you understand everything I've mentioned. I'm just doing what I think is best to consider your welfare, so I hope you won't take anything negatively. I'm happy you want to improve your long term wellbeing and you should be so, so proud of yourself for it, because at your age too many people start going down the wrong health path(s) and stay there for a long time in life and I'm really proud of you for your life choices and I hope this community can help you fulfill them, as you seem like a really charming, warm and radiant personality, judging by your attitude to Scott and your quirky picture :).

So welcome aboard :).

As a for instance, what times do you eat and what meals do you eat? This will help us help you to start progressing.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Wow, you're so tiny! 4'11" and 83 lbs... I'm trying to imagine what that must be like!

If you want to tighten up your body and slim your waist, a great type of strengthening exercise is pilates. Have you ever tried it before? There are a lot of videos on Youtube that you could check out. When I first tried pilates I did a 20 minute workout 3x per week and the results were great. You could potentially make a lot of progress if you start now.
Shortiee_Carrie
STARTING OUT

Hello everyone
WOW
Thank you so much for the advice! its so great to feel this much support, it makes me all the more determined!
I would say that i do under eat a bit but have been trying to get on track, i eat breakfast no matter what every morning between 630 and 740 and i do best for lunch at school and i eat a fair amount of dinner. I completely measured self today and found I'm only 4'9. I am trying to acquire the right eating habits but find its so hard. I have also given up bad habit of smoking weed to help with Cardio increasing.
And to make things a bit better, i have convinced best friend to start working out with me 3 times a week for a nice light jog and a light work out with 7 pound weights. What kinds of foods should i start to eat, and what would be good to eat before going jogging? Also one problem i find with eating is, if i eat a lot in one day, i feel fat, and gross and like I'm about to gain a ton of weight. I make self eat appropriate amounts but it gets so hard and stresses me out.
Last edited by Shortiee_Carrie on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottgaran
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by scottgaran »

Just be consistant. Eat 5-6 times a day in smaller amounts and workout and you will put on muscle. And don't forget muscle weighs more than fat so if you see the scale go up, it can be a good thing. In fact throw out your scale and go by the way you look and feel. best of luck!!!
Scott
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Here's a basic example of how you can eat, with a couple of options each time.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal + 3 Scrambled Egg Whites + 1 Yolk.

Option 2.

Portion of Chopped Chicken + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to improve digestion, then eat the Chicken.

Snack.
Option 1.

Portion of Low Fat Cheese.

Option 2.

Portion of Peanuts + some Berries, (same advice on the fruit).

Lunch

Option 1.

Ham Sandwhich, which could include things like Tomato, Cumber, Lettuce, Mustard etc etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Soup. Chicken and Mushroom, Chicken, Oxtail or Pea and Ham would be good for the Protein content as well.

Snack

Option 1.

Small portion of Turkey and Nut Yoghurt.

Option 2.

A couple of Chicken Sandwhiches made with Wheat or Rye Crackers. Could include things like Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomatos etc etc. Just make sure the Crackers are low Salt.

Dinner

Option 1.

Steak and Mashed Potato

Option 2.

Pork Stir-fry, with things like Mushooms, sliced Peppers, Peas, Rice and Mini Corn Cobs, so whatever you want with the Pork from those and / or your own choices.

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Small Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and some chopped Ham.

You don't have to do this, but it gives you some good examples of what you can do, if you want a plan to stick to, without loads of options, that allows you to simplify things.

I'm also glad you've canned the weed. It could just lead to other worse things and is a waste of money and good wellbeing, but I'm not going to come across all preachy, because it's not what we're both here for for :).

So maybe you've found something about what I wrote that you like, but if not no worries. It's about what's best for you at the end of all this.

Chin up, stay positive and good luck :).
Trish0102
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Trish0102 »

You're still very young and you're body is still on the process of developing. So chances are you might have difficulty in achieving your goal. But nevertheless, a good exercise and balanced diet will always do good to you.
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

You can achieve your goal of toning your muscles without gaining too much muscle mass by focusing more on building muscle endurance than muscle strength when weight lifting or doing calisthenics such as push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. Do more repetitions than the normal 8 to 12.