Tips on Exercise Routine (open to flexibility)

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Musikman124
STARTING OUT

Tips on Exercise Routine (open to flexibility)

Post by Musikman124 »

I am 16 years old and have been working out for less than a year on and off. Recently I joined a gym and got REALLY into working out, I love the results and the feeling! I'm there 2-4 times a week and so far routine looks like this (rough outline)

Benching - 90lbs / 7 reps / 3 sets
Shoulder press - 90lbs / 5 reps / 3 sets
Crunches - 110lbs (it's a machine) / 20 reps / 3 sets
>I'm new to what you call the machines, but I'll just state what they work...
Back - 120lbs / 10 reps / 3 sets
Pec. Fly - 50lbs / 15 reps / 3 sets
Biceps/Triceps - 75lbs / 10 reps / 3 sets
Curling (Free Weights) - 20-25lbs / 12 reps / 3 sets

Now I'm new to the machines at the gym (and this site) so forgive vagueness and a little more background on motive for working out: I'm a big kid. 191lbs and only 5' 8. build is stocky, weight doesnt hang all over the place. I have a big chest and big shouders and big arms, a relatively small waist for weight (32) but I want to bring weight from 191 down to 180! That's why i'm in this for more reps and less weight, what do you all think? any tips?
juan92
HIGH FLYER

Re: Tips on Exercise Routine (open to flexibility)

Post by juan92 »

looks good and reminds me of me, with the exception of the thin waist.

make sure to add squats, deadlifts
and hopefully ur not doing all this in one day... if your are just split it up into Workout A and B, and then spread it evenly
so
week 1
day 1: workout A
day 2: workout B
day 3: workout A
week 2
day 1: workout B
day 2: workout A
day 3: workout B

after 2 weeks add weight, and drop rep by 1, then 2 weeks after that add 1 rep but no weight... repeat the process again

this s how i am currently doing it and allows for the overload principle, but you dont have to do it that way, however i would advise splitting up the workouts though.
Musikman124
STARTING OUT

Post by Musikman124 »

Awesome thanks! And I was doing it all in one day, but your right, I don't want to hit a plateau and not get any results, or over-work myself, so like you said I'll split it up and add a few exercises (sqauts, deadlifts, etc) , and do you think I should add weight and lessen the reps or add reps and keep the weight the same? I don't want to get much bigger, probably more toned and defined.
Musikman124
STARTING OUT

Post by Musikman124 »

So I split routine into two exercises. Exercise A and B

Exercise A
3 exercises for Chest, 10 reps / 3 sets
3 exercises for Shoulders, 10 reps / 3 sets
2 exercises for Biceps, 10 reps / 3 sets
And then abs and cardio...

Exercise B
2 exercises for Back, 10 reps / 3 sets
2 exercises for Legs, 10 reps / 3 sets
2 exercises for Triceps, 10 reps / 3 sets
Then abs and cardio again...

I did what you said about splitting it up each week, what do you think?
frednick
STARTING OUT

Post by frednick »

Congratulations on your commitment. You're on the right path. You might consider finding a stretching routine. Stretching will also increase the blood flow to those parts of the body you're stretching and will also cut and define those areas more. Also think about some type of cardio workout. Running ( distance and also short sprints) and boxing ( shadow boxing and hitting a heavy bag) are all great ways to boost your heart rate Be sure to get your core strengthened. Working on your core benefits your entire body and your overall strength. Good luck