To be fit

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

cranewalker
STARTING OUT

To be fit

Post by cranewalker »

I'm a guy, currently 16 years old and weighing 99 kilos or about 200+lbs. I need help how I could be able to lose weight effectively. Though I'm not in any rush, losing weight quickly would be great too.

All I require is a fitness plan and tips about the proper diet. I don't have much cash to spend on good healthy food though but I've recently started eating whole-wheat bread instead of white bread while eating more protein to help me build up some muscle. I'm from the Philippines so rice is a staple food to me, though I'm limiting intake to about 2 cups through a day. (Used to be 5)

Thank you in advance :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: To be fit

Post by Boss Man »

What foods do you eat and what times do you eat?
cranewalker
STARTING OUT

Post by cranewalker »

Bread and rice are staples. Pork, beef, fish, and veggies as well. I eat fruits sometimes, though mostly apples and bananas.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

What I'm trying to get at, is how those foods work out as a daily schedule. If you could post the different meals and what they comprise, kind of like a restaurant menu, that would be cool :).

I just want to know how those foods slot into your daily eating habits.
Trish0102
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Trish0102 »

Being healthy doesn't have to cost much. There are a lot of exercises you can do without having to enroll yourself in a gym since you are not in a hurry anyway to lose weight. You can spend an hour or two everyday running or walking around your place. As for the food, try to have lots of fresh vegetables for your meals instead of fast food or pre-cooked with lots of preservatives. Vegetables are a lot cheaper than those foods with preservatives.
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

It's good that you eat whole wheat bread, rice, apples and bananas. However, you can do a lot more to have a complete diet by eating fish regularly, consuming various green leafy vegetables and yellow vegetables and eating more fruits such as oranges, grapes, pears, strawberries, peaches and plums.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Two things to consider with Fish.

1. They contain heavy metals so limit the portion sizes or intake. Tuna is recommended at 3 portions a week owing to the mercury content.

2. The EPA and DHA fats are what the human body can create from break down of omega 3, Alpha Linoleic Acid, so any foods like avocado, flax seed, omega 3 eggs, olives, low fat cheese, soybeans etc will provide these things, albeit during the conversion process in vivo, there is some wastage, so 5 grams of soybean omega 3, won't yield the same as 5g EPA and DHA from fish after consumption.

I'm not sure of the exact amount of wastage, but I'd estimate about 30%-50%, but you'd still then get a credible amount of usable EPA / DHA, the only other difference being the EPA / DHA are ready to go in Fish, so they can be assimilated and used a bit quicker, but I'm not sure about the time difference between LAL breakdown to EPA and DHA then the assimilation, versus just assimilation of ready to use EPA and DHA.