I want to start body building, I am 15, whole body workout

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

gogetass12
STARTING OUT

I want to start body building, I am 15, whole body workout

Post by gogetass12 »

Hello, so I wanted to start training with weights and machines at local gym. I am 15 years old, I weight 105-110 pounds (50 Kg) and height is 5.64" (172 cm). I am skinny but I have a lot of endurance. The last serious training workout I completed was Insanity Workout (I finished the 2 months of workout this January) and since then I've been only doing like 3 times a week the workout instead of daily (as it is supposed to be) and every Friday after school I spend 2-3 hours playing soccer or basketball. That is the physical activity I've been doing this year. Today I went to the gym to see how it is and I think it is fully equipped, so everything you can add for workout I will be able to do it. I am willing to go 2 times a week, maybe 3 sometimes and I have no knowledge about how much weight should I use, how many repetitions and nothing about it. I hope you can answer me how can I do this and should I make the excessive routine, thank you very much!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: I want to start body building, I am 15, whole body workout

Post by Boss Man »

This is the sort of thing you could start doing, but it would require 3 times a week every other day.

Squats, 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Planks 30-45 seconds

On the squats, lunges and bench presses, uses the second smallest weights you cna find.

On the deadlifts and bent over rows, use the smallest barbell you can find.

On the shrugs, use the smallest dumbells you can find.

Every 2 weeks increase a little, than after 4-6 weeks you should be ready to do something a bit more challenging; but the adjustment period must be committed to, so your body is used to what you're doing.

You must also be mindful of your age, so don't ever use a weight to the point of failure and in the future when you're on to more challenging things, try to work with around 80% of your maximum lifts, 90% at most, then you could step up to around 95% of max lifts, when you're a couple of years older, as by 17, your bones should be matured and fully formed. 17 is usually the end point for childhood bone maturation, so then you shouldn't be in danger of causing any bone related problems by then, as long as you remembered to use correct technique and not more weight than you were physically capable of.

Hopefully this all makes sense :).
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: I want to start body building, I am 15, whole body workout

Post by toddhicks209 »

The amount of weight you work out with should be what you can bench press eight to 12 times before your muscles tire too much for you to lift the weight anymore. For best results, do weight training three times a week, with a day of rest between workouts to allow your muscles to recover and get stronger.