18 year old, never exercised before

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Osiphen
STARTING OUT

18 year old, never exercised before

Post by Osiphen »

Hey guys!

name is Cody, I am 18 years of age and I have never physically exercised in entire life before. I am 5'5 (65 inches tall), 140 pounds. I am scrawny and weak looking, and I hate that. I have abs, but they're very flabby and it makes me self-conscious, if I ever take shirt off then I instantly flex because I hate how I look when I'm not. I just recently enlisted in the Ohio National Guard and I had first drill there and it killed me. So the situation now is that I have until August to get self into the position where I can easily do the APFT standards (at least 42 push-ups in two minutes, 53 sit-ups in two minutes, and 2 miles within 15:54) and I am nowhere near that right now. I want to start looking and feeling better. I am unmotivated and lazy. I never want to do anything. I have to force myself to get out of bed and even sometimes shower and I just hate that.

diet is horrible. I drink pop constantly and eat fast food all the time. I have been eating less McDonalds and more Buffalo Wild Wings, though. diet consists of about two-four days of chicken a week, at the least. I just recently started taking vitamins and eating a lot of yogurt. I don't think this is a substantial diet in any way and would like some advice and help on it.

current exercise (which is like nothing) is I plank for one minute, as many sit-ups and crunches as I can do, then a shake weight on upper body for like two minutes. It's nothing, but it's a start.

I'm in desperate need for help.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: 18 year old, never exercised before

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Cody, good to speak with you.

This should work for you. It's bodyweighted so it should be fine.

Squats, 2 sets 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets 10 reps

Good mornings, 2 sets 10 reps

Push-ups, 2 sets 10 reps

Vertical flyes, 2 sets 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps

Planks 30-45 seconds

You'd do this 3x a week mixed in with cardio.

So your schedule could look like this.

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

As for the diet, can you post a typical menu for the day, I:E the times you eat and what you eat those times.

Thanks.
Osiphen
STARTING OUT

Post by Osiphen »

Could you give me a quick explanation of what you mean by "cardio" and "reps/sets" ?

Also, I generally eat at random times during the day. So it's hard for me to list a schedule.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Okay, this is the sort of diet plan I've posted before for people so it might work for you.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for reps and sets, reps is short for repetitions, which is the amount of times you perform a movement consecutively, that then counts as 1 set.

Carido is just whatever you feel is best. You'd be able to do anything from 30-60 minutes, but you might decide to do some endurance stuff, or you might decide to do endurance stuff with some bursts of speed added in at regular intervals, but the cardio you do would be your decision :).
FitandLeila816
STARTING OUT

Post by FitandLeila816 »

Wow, learned a lot from that diet plan Boss Man! Thanks! :)

I've been in that path before where I was so busy with studies and work that I had no choice but to opt for soda pops and fastfood. Ugh! Good luck to us, we can do it!