Hello

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

79chetirideset
STARTING OUT

Hello

Post by 79chetirideset »

Hello guys, I'm from Bulgaria. I'm 12 years old and like 7-8 months was trying to get abs.. I was fat, so I started diet. After 2-3 months I had progress and started trying to get abs. Now, like 3-4 months after, I still can't get this abs.. See this picture. http://imgur.com/DrLhQ9Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Do I not pack well , or I just don't got abs? Now I'm 100% not fat, because I'm 38 kg/145 cm. I can see all ribs on light. Please help me and give me tips.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Hello

Post by Boss Man »

Hi there 79cd it's good to talk to you.

Firstly trying to get better abs also works when you train them, which I don't know if you do, but diet is a big part of why they would show.

If you just trained the abs you could risk problems with your lower back, by having abs stronger than your back and it might affect how you walk.

You are too young to do weights at your age, but you would need to make changes to the way you eat.

I would suggest just trying to eat sensibly, don't under eat and let nature work, because you may find it easier to get abs in a couple of years, because you will bee a teen then and your body might start to change in good ways.
79chetirideset
STARTING OUT

Post by 79chetirideset »

Actually I did diet and cardio (running) for all the period. On light only first two abs are showing and a lot of ribs. I train abs and have a gym bar in house. So, what to do?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The main problem you might get is by training the abs, you risk having a problem with your lower back, if the abs get stronger than the lower back.

You might be wise to google an exercise like good mornings and try and do those on the same days you do abs.

You only need to do abs 3x a week on alternate days, 2 sets of 10, so I'd do the same thing with the good mornings, which you can do using your body only so you should be fine with those..
79chetirideset
STARTING OUT

Post by 79chetirideset »

So, I have to train the lower back, or just the back? By the way, I can see V-line.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well the lower back is the most important part, to hopefully stop any strength gains in the abs affecting your lower back.

If you train the upper back then you'd need to do the chest, as having a much stronger upper back than the chest, could cause possible problems with the way you move and might cause pain.

So then you'd be talking about stuff like vertical flyes for chest and bent over rows for back.
79chetirideset
STARTING OUT

Post by 79chetirideset »

Are this exercises good? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8TCglomNoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOx0-njH93M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which one are better?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The second one where the guy bends over, which is a version of hyper extensions would be the better one I feel and that should be adequate for the back.

You really wouldn't need to do any more than 10 of those, with a short break then another 10.
79chetirideset
STARTING OUT

Post by 79chetirideset »

Yeah, I started doing the second exercises. But, is it possible to have no abs, not because of the low percentage of body fat, but because of the lack of strong muscles?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well obviously abs do exist, but low body fat would show pronounced abs, but without the strength they wouldn't be as pronounced as they could be, but if I had to chose flat hidden strong abs, over visable weak abs, I'd want the first situation every time.
79chetirideset
STARTING OUT

Post by 79chetirideset »

Yeah, today I asked one friend to hit me in the with football ball, all strength. So, he hit me, but it hurt just a little. So, I want to make them visible, is it possible or I will just stay like that?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It is possible to make them visable, depending on how you eat, but at your age, reducing or altering your calories too much could affect your growth and development, depending on what amounts of minerals and vitamins you eat.

Added muscle can help to burn fat to some extent, so you might find if you get stronger abs, partly through normal childhood development and partly through training them, you might get what you want anyway with visability, but I wouldn't be too hung up about visable abs at your age as it's really cool that you want to be active, but remember being active is for your whole life and because your whole body is worth looking after, not just some abs.

So I'd say don't worry too much about visable abs, as you don't want to get worried about looking better than your friends, or looking like some guy in a magazine, just keep exercising fairly regularly and keep being you because you're a decent kid and just try to have a normal, active, happy childhood and if you have to wait as long as 5-6 or more years to get visable abs, then don't worry about it, because you can still get stronger and fitter anyway in the mean time, by being sensible, using good exercises done right and staying away from weights for another 3-4 years, to avoid injuries.

I'm proud of you bud, for wanting to be active at your age and to care about yourself, but remember that your whole body has to last a lifetime, so focus more on that, not just some abs and be proud of you too, because if you keep caring about yourself, you'll have the chance to avoid a bad future and be someone good in 10 or more years :).

:thumb: :thumb:
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

If you're 12 years old, I don't see anything wrong with you weight training. Just be careful and start out lifting light dumbbells or barbells. If you have access to a weight lifting machine, use it and just try bench pressing 10 or 20 pounds on your first time using this machine. As you get stronger, you can safely move up to higher loads.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

He too young to lift Todd, as it could affect his growth plates and he'd be better holding off for at least another 2 years minimum and 4 years maximum.

Many Gyms never advocate lifting for people under 16 and actively will discourage it, because it has it's risks at that age, as the muscle might be able to take it but the bones are not fully formed. Even at 16 there's about another year to go to skeletal maturity.
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

You have quite a good physique for someone who is so young.