I'm trying to get in shape could anyone help?

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Ruari
STARTING OUT

I'm trying to get in shape could anyone help?

Post by Ruari »

Hello, name is Ruari and i'm 16 years old, and i'm hoping to get in shape, when i was a kid i was very skinny but as i grew up i put on a bit of weight, i'm not fat I've just got some issues with extra fat around chest, and stomach, i eat fairly healthily with a diet of majority of protein in chicken and fish and i don't eat fast food other than pizza, bar they are generally very well made pizzas (not takeout) i play basketball weekly and i need to get in better shape, i'm 5'9-5'10 and i weigh around 66-68 kilos. I've done on and of training with weights at home which are adjustable with push ups and sit ups but i never saw any difference, i made sure to have the correct form and i continued these training exercises everyday for 2 months but never saw any changes. I currently can't get a gym membership so can anyone help with some sort of diet/training regiment.
The equipment I have at home is basically just weights that can be adjusted up to a weight of 20 kg so can anyone help me with a training schedule using these weights and body weight exercises?
Thank you for your time!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: I'm trying to get in shape could anyone help?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Ruari, good to talk to you.

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?

Do you have a weight bench?
Ruari
STARTING OUT

Post by Ruari »

i dont have a weight bench all i currently have is just the arm curling weights, and i normally eat 1 meal when i wake up and 1 before i go to bed, so breakfast and dinner with no lunch, with maybe 1 snack around mid day
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Right try this workout and see how you get on.

Squats, 2 sets 10 reps

Lunges. 2 sets 10 reps

Deadlifts. 2 sets, 10 reps.

Arnold press, 2 sets 10 reps.

Bent over rows, 2 sets 20 reps.

Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps.

As for the diet you really need some lunch.

There are many things you can use to base snacks and meals on such as microwave, soup, baked beans and rice dishes, bread, sandwiches, ham, beef, turkey, pork and chicken from a packet, boiled eggs, nuts, peanuts, low fat cheese, low sugar yoghurts, vegetables including pineapple, celery sticks and raw carrot, fruits including tomato and cucumber flax seeds and oat granolas.
Ruari
STARTING OUT

Post by Ruari »

i dont have heavy enough weights to do deadlifts or bentover rows as i only have arm curl weights, is there anything i can replace this with, or can i just lift something heavy that isnt a weight e.g a large wooden box or something? (for the deadlift)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You can do those exercises because they are just dumbbell variations of the moves.