How to get a toned/cut chest

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Diesel
STARTING OUT

How to get a toned/cut chest

Post by Diesel »

Wassup I'm 16 and I've been benching for a while now, which has given me a big chest,which I don't want anymore. I do about 55lbs on each side(155lbs all together) but I now want to reduce chest size to make it more toned and cut, not flat or anything though. What kind of exercises should I do now?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

AT NO POINT SHOULD WANT TO STOP MUSCLE GROWTH

now that's outta the system...

you need to concentrate on food to get down while continuing basically the same training
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Indeed. You don't want to gain better physical condition, then decide to sacrifice some, that's giving up a Management job to serve Hamburgers for a living.
Diesel
STARTING OUT

Post by Diesel »

Ye i want a better shape to chest. I still want there to be muscle but in a more better looking way. I want the muscles to be more defined and shapely. Should I lower the weight on the bench press and add more reps? What are the things I can do to make them more defined is what I'm asking.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

definition = appreciable muscle size + low body fat

so if you refer to 1st post, you say you've got the muscle so accotding to the equation above you need less which is attained through a clean diet...you can't "shape" muscles, they're shape is genetic and you can't change it...if you start benching with less wt than you'll actually lose muscle somewhere along the line

if you regularly bench with 100kgs than your muscles get bigger and stronger to accomodate this...so if you decide to lower the wt to sat 80kgs, than the body won't bother holding onto the extra strength and muscle built for the 100kgs as it doesn't need it...another win for low reps and heavy wt over high reps and light wt
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

barbell benche presses are actually one of the worse exercises for chest size but does in crease strength allowing for heavier wts in other chest exercises

you can't shape a muscle...it already has a shape and you can't change it...it only has more shape when there's no fat over it so you can see more of it

muscles have different insertion points so it can look different when you flex it different ways such as flexing arms with palms facing you compared to with palms facing in front...you need to train both ways to get optimal size though, not the one that "LOOKS"the biggest
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

well i would get your strength up 1st with BB Bench Press say 3 x 8 for 1 session than do DB Bench Press 3 x 12 or so for another session but depends what plan your using
felguard
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by felguard »

Do dumbbells and cable flyes to shape your chest.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

you can't shape muscles...they already have shape
felguard
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by felguard »

Doing dumbbell presses can help you create the line between the two chest way better than regular bench presses in opinion. Flyes helps with the striations of the chest. That's just what I think.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Muscles must reshape if they get bigger, at least say in terms of curvature. I mean they don't obviously go Square on anything as rediculour as that.

Though I've heard of some people getting odd shaped Pecs, but usually that's from doing stuff like too much Decline Pressing, causing slightly more muscle size in the Sternal portion of the Pec, probably pulling on the weaker Clavicular portion a bit, and altering the look slightly.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

that's simply getting bigger...as the muscle gets bigger than it "pops" out of the skin more giving it a more defined "shape"...nothing hard here, just get bigger
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

look there is pec minor and pec major but you can't train one without the other so they should both get big at an equal rate
rogeragz
STARTING OUT

Re: How to get a toned/cut chest

Post by rogeragz »

If you have built up muscle already, to "cut it" you just need to do cardio, 'cause fat is covering it up...
If you need to build muscle mass, do excercises which require less helper muscles(triceps). If you bench, you workout your chest only when the bar is close to you, otherwise you are pushing with triceps. Chest function is to rotate the shoulders to the inside, therefore flyes and peckdeck machine and those kind of ex hit your chest better. You can also try benching without full extension of the arms, or push ups in gymrings(going down with elbows at 90, and going up pulling arms straight together)