need some tips (body fat)

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

california
STARTING OUT

need some tips (body fat)

Post by california »

i'm 5'2, around 110-112. i used to be around 104-105. i've gained a lot of weight this year and i'd like to lose it. i'm okay with numbers, but how i look.. i don't like it since i've liked the way i used to look. theres fat on hip bones and stomach. i'd deff. would like to lose that fat.

i'm not very good at running, but i'll still do it. i run at a moderate pace but i get tired easily because i'm not in shape! so if i do end up w/sticking with running/jogging of some sort, how long should i do it? how long will it be before i get results? also, help on healthy diet tips since i know that might contribute to losing this body fat.
Christopheel
REGULAR

Re: need some tips (body fat)

Post by Christopheel »

california wrote:i'm 5'2, around 110-112. i used to be around 104-105. i've gained a lot of weight this year and i'd like to lose it. i'm okay with numbers, but how i look.. i don't like it since i've liked the way i used to look. theres fat on hip bones and stomach. i'd deff. would like to lose that fat.

i'm not very good at running, but i'll still do it. i run at a moderate pace but i get tired easily because i'm not in shape! so if i do end up w/sticking with running/jogging of some sort, how long should i do it? how long will it be before i get results? also, help on healthy diet tips since i know that might contribute to losing this body fat.
Diet :

You need to eat every 2-3 hours,
Solid Proteins at every meals,
Fruits on 2 first meals,
Veggies on every others,
Liquid Protein (Whey, Protein Shake) after Workout/Cardio,
No refined/simple carbs during the day except at breakfast and Post-workout,
No juice drink water,
Healthy fats (Fish oils, Nuts, etc.) are your friends, eat them

Make yourself a plan and post-it here we will help you improve it. And don,t come here to say "I can't eat every 3 hours because I have school" This is bullshit everyone can, smoker find time to smoke right ?

And for any fitness/athletics/sport goals, diet is the key along with consistence

The speed of the result ? Your a beginner, if you follow everything and stay consistent, results will be viewable week by week. If you want numbers, you can loose up too 2 pounds a week, but in your case building muscles is needed to fast your fat lost.

Workout wise now :

Three times a week Full body workout, take a look at this (Written by a qualified Personal trainer here) :

Program Design

There are many variables that need to be taken into account when designing any training program.

These include:
- previous training experience
- training goals
- exercise selection
- training scheduling
- structural balance

I’ll address these points and more to provide some guidelines so you can design your own training program.

Training Goals

As with anything we do, we need to determine the reason for actually doing to make it worth while for this will keep us disciplined and consistent going forward. Many trainers don’t actually have specific or even general goals, and are usually the one’s who train for a while before dropping off when nothing seems to be happening.

You need to set both short term and long term goals. A long term goal might be to lose 10kgs in 6 months with a short term goal being to drop a dress size in 4 weeks. Your short term goal should generally be related to your long term goal, otherwise you’re trying to accomplish too many things at once and you’ll end up spinning your wheels.

Previous Training Experience

Your previous training experience will determine what program you’ll do. It will affect sets, reps, exercise selection and training schedule. If you’ve had a break from training for longer than 6mths or so, than it’s always best top drop back a “levelâ€
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

gee that program looks familiar....
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

California...

Ok... so you're 18, 5'2, and about 110-112 pounds? Girl I really don't think you have anything to worry about as far as weightloss goes! I'm sure you look great! However, if you're wanting to tone up a bit and become more healthy then thats great.

What does your current diet look like? Post an example of an average day. Have you ever lifted weights before? For the running and cardio you'll want to do that 2-3 times a week between 20-30 minutes depending on the workout. If you're doing intense cardio (sprints, stairs, jump rope) you only need to do about 20 minutes. If you're doing slower steady cardio you'll want to do about 30 minutes. I would do the intense cardio atleast 2 days a week and do the slow cardio on the third day if you feel its necessary. With that said... The two best things that will help with the fat loss is going to be NUTRITION and a WEIGHT LIFTING PROGRAM.

I hope this helps. Please post questions if you have any. :)
california
STARTING OUT

Post by california »

cassiegose wrote:California...

Ok... so you're 18, 5'2, and about 110-112 pounds? Girl I really don't think you have anything to worry about as far as weightloss goes! I'm sure you look great! However, if you're wanting to tone up a bit and become more healthy then thats great.

What does your current diet look like? Post an example of an average day. Have you ever lifted weights before? For the running and cardio you'll want to do that 2-3 times a week between 20-30 minutes depending on the workout. If you're doing intense cardio (sprints, stairs, jump rope) you only need to do about 20 minutes. If you're doing slower steady cardio you'll want to do about 30 minutes. I would do the intense cardio atleast 2 days a week and do the slow cardio on the third day if you feel its necessary. With that said... The two best things that will help with the fat loss is going to be NUTRITION and a WEIGHT LIFTING PROGRAM.

I hope this helps. Please post questions if you have any. :)
Thanks! diet isn't very healthy. Breakfast I eat yogurt and granola. Snackings are usually fruits. Lunch and dinner are various things.. so maybe some suggestions w/that would help.

Also what is considered intense cardio and slow cardio? I'm assuming running/jogging/walking is slow since I do tend to run slow.

I really want to lose that flub, though. You know "muffin tops" ? Yeah I unfortunately have those and I really wanna lose that.
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

Ok... as long as youre focused on toning up, building some muscle, and losing the muffin top I'm happy to help. Just remember not to get too caught up looking at the scale everyday... focus on how you feel and how your clothes fit instead. :)

As for your diet... You probably need some protein! This is a common mistake amoung girls. When I was younger, I survived on yogurt, bagels, fruit, cereal, granola ect. You need some balance in your diet, so try eating both protein and a carb at every meal. For breakfast, maybe switch to some eggs and whole wheat toast/oatmeal/yogurt and add in some fruit there. You're best bet is to eat a carb/protein combination every 2-3 hours. Good carb choices include: brown rice, whole wheat pasta/bread/couscous, sweet potatos, fruit, veggies, quinoa, ect. I've had really good luck with only eating the fruit in the mornings and sticking to mostly veggies and proteins after noon. Good protein options include lean meats like chicken breast, red meat, and some lean cuts of pork. Fish, eggs, lowfat cheese, and tofu are also great choices. You'll want to include some fat in your diet as well. Great options are avacados, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, and peanut butter.

High intensity cardio includes running stairs, sprints, jumping jacks, interval running, jumping rope, box hops, plyometrics, ect. Slow cardio would be jogging, biking, walking, hiking, ect.

In order to lose that fat you're best option is to start a weight lifting program a couple of days a week. Have you ever lifted weights? If you're a beginner you can do a great deal of the exercises by just using your body weight (incline/decline/close handed pushups, bench dips, squats, pull ups, lunges, calf raises ect). Once you get good at those you should start incooporating some weights.

Any questions? I hope this all makes sense... Ask questions if you have any!
california
STARTING OUT

Post by california »

Oooh, thanks! Thats all very helpful.

I've done weights and stuff back maybe a few years ago in school. So do I do those weight lifting on the days w/cardio or alternate? And for how long or how many reps?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

alternate days is best

how confident are you with the wts?