Problem...looking to strengthen

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

rangerross
STARTING OUT

Problem...looking to strengthen

Post by rangerross »

Hi there, Im 14 years old and I was recently injured playing football (soccer) I play football more or less daily and it keeps me fit however now that im injured and cannot do ANY sport im worried that I will quickly become unfit. Knowing I couldnt play football I decided to get a set of weights so that I could concentrate on upper body whilst I cannot run. Now as it happens I picked up injury in a bad challenge and the player who tackled me was seriously overweight and he was pushing me off the ball all the time thats when I realised I MUST GET STRONGER IN UPPER BODY.... Physically im pretty fit particularly lower body, im around 6ft so obviously big for age and I have fairly large upper arms (not as toned as Id like) and I was at one point well toned in core area however now ive been out of sport for 7 weeks im getting unfit and need some help on how to get stronger upper body and preserve the fitness of core...

Thanks in advance
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

what injury do you have and what does it restrict you doing? can't do anything until we know that
rangerross
STARTING OUT

Post by rangerross »

Knee Injury - I cant put weight on left leg basically
someguyfromontario
STARTING OUT

Post by someguyfromontario »

Hi Ranger,

The others will have more qualified advice than I about this but I did play football in younger years and did injure knee a bit. Now I wasn't layed up by the injury but the one thing that I did do that felt better on knee was swim. The water felt great and it didn't hurt all that much.

Have you got a fav MLS or club team? Mine is Man U!
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

something like this would help you;

workout 1 - inverted or body rows...bench press...close grip bench press...bb curl

workout 2 - pull ups or pulldowns...seated shoulder press...bicep focus chin ups or reverse grip pulldowns

do the 1st 2 exercises of each day 4 x 6 - 8 and the second 2 3 x 8 - 12

it would also be a good idea to pair them together so you would do something like this:

row...rest 90secs...bench...rest 90secs...row etc for all sets...do this for both pairs

shouldn't take you longer than 40mins i wouldn't think and just make sure that you get more reps or you increase wt each session