16 yr old, should I?

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

gee
STARTING OUT

16 yr old, should I?

Post by gee »

Hey guys

im 16 years old, Im about 175cm ( convert..),

I want to do weight lifting, this is what I thought I should do :

start with 6 Kgs dumbells, ( gradually escalate), and do bench presses, once or twice a week, I also do cardio training and abs..

any suggestions? or constructive comments? thanks.
Sportsman4920
STARTING OUT

Post by Sportsman4920 »

I would start with a full body workout 2-3 times per week. Begin with machines for you first lifting experience, as this will get you're muscles used to lifting weights, as well as help to prevent injury. Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps per exercise. I'm not sure what type of machines you have at your gym, but if you can find machines that fit the general description of:

Chest press (either lying down or sitting)
Rowing machine (close grip attachment if possible, probably looks something like a V shape)
Shoulder press (alternate between inside and outside grips to see which is more comfortable, you'll probably find the inside to be easier)
Leg Press
Leg Curl (sitting, standing, or lying face down, it varies from gym to gym)
Leg Extension

1-3 ab exercises depending upon fitness level, start with 3 sets of say 10 reps, then work your way up from there, you may even be able to do more now, if so, start with say 3 sets of 15 reps (see exercise guide on main shapefit website for guide of abs. Try a couple the first week, and then pick your favorites for the rest of the time)

Do this workout, or some similar variation, for the next 6-8 weeks, then come back and someone will be able to recommend another workout for you.

Feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you can think of. The more educated you are before you start lifting the better. And always remember to air on the side of caution. There's a fine line between pushing your body to its limits to gain muscle and doing something that will get you hurt.
gee
STARTING OUT

Post by gee »

what muscles do each of those work? ( except for ones for legs heh)

i mainly want a good looking chest and good biceps..
Sportsman4920
STARTING OUT

Post by Sportsman4920 »

Doing a full body workout will allow you to achieve a nice looking over all body, which of course includes good looking pecs and biceps. Stick with the entire body, you will regret it in the future if you leave out certain muscle groups.

Major muscles used-
Chest press: pecs, triceps, front of shoulder
Rowing machine: biceps, traps (upper back), lats (middle and lower back)
Shoulder press: triceps, front of shoulder
Leg press: overall legs
Leg curl: hamstring (back of leg)
Leg extension: quad (front of leg)

Abs: pick exercises that work the different areas of the core 1) obliques (sides of body) 2) lower abs (ex. hanging leg raise or reverse crunch) 3) upper abs (ex. many variations of a crunch) To start out, you may want to pick a good over all exercise, such as a crunch on a medicine ball, or a crunch on a decline bench. If you feel your abs are fairly strong, then you may want to do 2 or 3 different exercises; one over all, one oblique, and one of either upper or lower abs depending upon which is weaker; you generally want to train the weaker area a little more in order to balance out your body.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i'm abig free wt man so i would rather you learn to squat and deadliftas well as doing bench presses, rows, pull ups / pulldowns and shoulder presses over machines...chest and arms are built with heavy wt so that's why these exercises will get you bigger arms than curls and pushdowns
Sportsman4920
STARTING OUT

Post by Sportsman4920 »

True, free weights will tend to build larger muscles, but unless he has a personal trainer to show him how to do the exercises properly, then he probably should stay away from them. If he's on this site asking questions like he is, i'm assuming he doesn't have a personal trainer. Therefore, he should probably start with machines until he can get hands on professional help.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

if he doesn't have someone to show him (surely there's a strength / pe teacher ats chool thAt can or a mate) then i don'y see a problaem with him doing some research and giving them a go with light wts
Pheracus
STARTING OUT

Post by Pheracus »

Just for the record, I agree with sportsman... Better safe than sorry I always say. He's only 16, he has time to take it slow. Well... slower.... lol. Anyway good posts all of you.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

here's where a problem can come in with machines using the chest press and push up as an example.

using a chest press straight away only trains the actual chest muscles so they will get stronger no doubt.

now 6 weeks later have him do some push ups where he thinks he'll be stronger at tem because of all his chest pressing and watch for his lower back archind down to the ground and his half poush ups from his body not being able to keep a straight line

this is because his core is weak as he's been on machines so he might as well do compound exercises with free wts or bodyweight to strengthen core 1st before anything
Pheracus
STARTING OUT

Post by Pheracus »

I'd like to think I have a strong core, but arms are supposedly bigger than chest and stomach area (girlfriend critique) Should I bench press on machines or free weights?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

if you can't do 20 perfect push ups than do push ups until you can than put your feet up on abench and do them...that will strengthen your core than move to free wt versions bb or db
2nd2none
STARTING OUT

Post by 2nd2none »

nah, it's no problem. working with free weights is actually pretty easy. if you want to learn how to use free weights for a certain exercise without a personal trainer, then go to this website. http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html