Help for beginner - how do I get abs?

Discuss how to get ripped abs here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

tomjennings
STARTING OUT

Help for beginner - how do I get abs?

Post by tomjennings »

I am 19, 145, and , and I want a six pack. I have done some research, but I still have a few questions:

I know I need to lose fat in stomach, but how can I do this without losing any pounds? So how do I gain muscle mass and still lose fat if I have to take in fewer calories than I need to maintain current weight?

I also do not know how I should eat. Do I need fewer calories than 145 pound body needs to stay at 145? Another site told me to take in 10x current weight in calories, but that would mean I only would consume 1450, which would make me too thin.

Should I also be obsessing with calculating how many exact grams of fat, carbs, and protein I need to make stomach have stand out? This morning I tried to formulate a meal plan, but I got so frustrated with finding exact amounts that i am considering not calculating and instead just take in the right foods at eyeballed amounts. Is this wise?

I also have a question about exercise. I am pretty thin right now, so I should not go overboard with exercising and working out. I usually walk everywhere and get over 10,000 steps every day. So if removing the layer of fat covering abdomen is only goal, can I just stick with current level of activity?

In essence, question is: if I eat foods low in fats, carbs, and artificial elements without obsessing over calculating the specific amounts and continue walking several hours everyday, can I get a six pack eventually?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Help for beginner - how do I get abs?

Post by Boss Man »

Muscle burns fat.

1lb of added muscle burns an extra 45-50 calories a day, so cutting bakc calories isn't always a necessity, as it might be the type of calories rather than amount.

If you calories consisted of something like 30% protein, 50% Carbs, 10% fat for example, then it's ratios not primarily calories, as the high carb content would promote fat storage, when a significant amount of those carbs, were not used for energy and got converted..

If the individual altered the ratio to say 40% Protein, 30% Carbs, 30% fat; although fat goes up to 30% from 10%, compared to 20% of the 30% carb reduction, the fat calories would be higher, so technically the individual would be increasing calories, but as most of the added fat calories could be from Polyunsaturates and Mono's, that wouldn't matter, because they wouldn't store too easily and some might be used as an energy source.

So you don't necessarily need to calorie cut to get a visable midriff, unless you were overeating, relative to your size, weight and muscle mass.

If you ate 3,000+ calories a day, but you were not for example, a 160lb+ guy with 15% or less fat, I.E. 160lb+ and 20%+ fat level, then cutting would be okay, but if you were the first example, then the 15% or less fat level and weight, might indicate a more muscular person, who just needed to modify their macronutrient ratios, assuming the peson wasn't say 10% fat and 140 lbs, in which case it's low fat and low muscle.

Hopefully that makes sense.
belgian
STARTING OUT

Post by belgian »

So you want to maintain the weight you have right now but you want to lose the layer of fat on your ? Is that correct?

I think if you start eating less calories, you would eventually lose some fat, but I think your overall weight would drop too, and you don't want that to happen.
I think this way would take maybe months before you see any significant results.

I think you could benefit from eating a bit more, but start working out with weights (strength training to grow muscle fibres). That way you will increase your weight but you will burn more calories as muscle burn more calories. Maybe then you would burn the fat that covers your abs, but still keep the weight as you have more muscles.
ValidFitness
STARTING OUT

Post by ValidFitness »

I recently wrote an article on attaining a six pack. It might be very beneficial to you. Check it out @ http://www.validfitness.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
edhezlet
STARTING OUT

Post by edhezlet »

A lot of people have this problem- the trick is to give your body all of the nutrients it needs to retain muscle mass, whilst cutting out some calories so that you will start to lose fat- the key is to keep your protein intake high- try and fewer carbohydrates and more vegetables to reduce the calories.

If you want some specifics I actually wrote a free ebook just because many people ask about abs and there is so much questionable advice online- you might find it helpful:

http://www.physicalelite.com/#/the-six- ... 4572261192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;