Diabetic and seeking advice for toned abs

Discuss how to get ripped abs here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

mist
STARTING OUT

Diabetic and seeking advice for toned abs

Post by mist »

Hi,

I'm diabetic and as such have to watch what I eat, diet is not to bad I don't think, I eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and protein rich foods like chicken breast and oily fish.

As it stands sugar levels are way to high and I have recently started doing some moderate excercise at home, just basic stuff like push ups, sit ups and stomach crunches in an attempt to help lower blood sugar levels, and it seems to be working.

I am not overweight and BMI is where it needs to be but I would like to tone up abs, I used to have a fairly solid stomach when I was in teens but now I'm 30 and have an annoying bulge of fat just under button that I cannot seem to shift.

I'm not afraid of putting in the hard work but I know that as long as this fat remains abdominal muscle will not be visible.

Obviously carbs give us energy but I have to keep carbs down to a minimum because of diabetes.

What do you think are the optimum exercises I should be doing to maximise efforts taking into account small carb intake.

Thanks.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Diabetic and seeking advice for toned abs

Post by Boss Man »

Try adding some jogging on other cardio in about 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes at a time. Remember though if you do 5 days a week, try splitting it so it's not 5 consecutive days.

As for what else you're doing, you could stick with that, so you're not making too many changes in case some don't work, or counteract things that do work hindering progress.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: Diabetic and seeking advice for toned abs

Post by ultimatehlth »

Yeah, the addition of cardio is a great idea. Make sure you balance your push-ups with pull-ups. A TRX device would make a great at home exercise tool. Try adding either sweet potato or beans to your post workout meal for better recovery and muscle growth. Both are moderate on the glycemic scale.
Best,