Weight not coming off

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Charoli1219
STARTING OUT

Weight not coming off

Post by Charoli1219 »

i currently weigh 68kgs, body fat 13.7%, large framed, 178cm tall. I train hard at the gym 6 days a week with one rest day, training schedule is mostly cardio with 2-3 sessions of weight work and I have recently started to introduce HIT training in there. diet is high in protein, average for carbs about 80-100g a day and sugar intake is generally below 25g a day. goal is to reach 65kgs. Any diet or exercise tips to help me reach goal would be apprecaited.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Weight not coming off

Post by Boss Man »

Hello Helen, nice to speak with you :).

Could you give us a breakdown of your daily eating habits, I.E what times you eat and what your foods are you eating at those times?

Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Hello!

I would guess that 80-100 grams of carbs might be high for a female doing mostly cardio. wife eats the same amount of carbs when trying to put on muscle/burn body fat, but she lifts 5-6 days a week for at least an hour plus she does 60 plus minutes of cardio daily. She eventually drops some of those carbs to see more changes as time goes by.

Boss Man will probably give you more of a technical answer but I am just telling you what works well wife. :mrgreen:
Charoli1219
STARTING OUT

Post by Charoli1219 »

Hi Boss Man

i eat breakfast around 8am each morning, porridge with buckwheat, gojo berries and a scoup or protein powder, morning tea at 11ish, normally fresh vegies with dip. Lunch is normally around 2.30pm and probably worst meal of this day as this is just a protetin shake and dinner is generally late around 7 to 7.30 as this is when I get back from the gym. Most of gym work is done in the evening aparts from Saturday and Sunday when I work out mornings. i really try to limit carb intake for dinner so this is generaly an omlette packed with vegies or a salad and tuna.

Thanks any advice is greatly appreciated :D
Charoli1219
STARTING OUT

Post by Charoli1219 »

Alinshop wrote:Hello!

I would guess that 80-100 grams of carbs might be high for a female doing mostly cardio. wife eats the same amount of carbs when trying to put on muscle/burn body fat, but she lifts 5-6 days a week for at least an hour plus she does 60 plus minutes of cardio daily. She eventually drops some of those carbs to see more changes as time goes by.

Boss Man will probably give you more of a technical answer but I am just telling you what works well wife. :mrgreen:

Thanks, good to know :D
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Hi Charoli1219, It may help you to add a fifth "meal" before the gym of something like crackers and cheese, or tuna sandwich or something to the effect of a protein and a starchy carb which will help with your energy levels at the gym, especially since you have a poor 2ish pm meal. If I am not mistaken you should be in the realm of 2400 calories a day to achieve the goals you are aiming for and doing the workouts you are doing.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Charoli1219 wrote: i eat breakfast around 8am each morning, porridge with buckwheat, gojo berries and a scoup or protein powder,

(That's fine)

morning tea at 11ish, normally fresh vegies with dip.

(I'd include a flesh protein source here, or something else like peanuts or low fat cheese)

Lunch is normally around 2.30pm and probably worst meal of this day as this is just a protetin shake

(You can improve on this with simple meal choices like beans on toast, microwaved soup and rice dishes, sandwiches using packet meats and include things like celery sticks, raw carrot, yoghurt pots, sliced pineapple, boiled eggs, fruits including cucumber and tomato and other fruits, nuts etc, so you've got fast easy options)

and dinner is generally late around 7 to 7.30 as this is when I get back from the gym.

i really try to limit carb intake for dinner so this is generaly an omlette packed with vegies or a salad and tuna.

(I would limit the tuna to 3x a week max, as per modern recommendations regarding metal conent. You could switch the tuna for things like chicken, turkey, beef, ham, lamb and pork if you wish, or use lower metal fish like salmon and tilapia in 100g, (3.5Oz) portions a day

Alternatively you could split the 100g into 2x 50g portions, 1 portion of fish for lunch and 1 for dinner, then you add a carb source but have a bit less than usual and then use a mixed carb and protein food to give you the remaining carbs and protein, like rice, peas, beans, mushrooms, corn or lentils.)
As for the option before the gym as Chris suggested, you've got a whole host of things incoluding the ones I suggested like microwaved stuff, meats, fruits, peanuts etc, pretty much everything I have listed somehwere in response, but you could include oat granolas in there as well if you wish.
Charoli1219
STARTING OUT

Post by Charoli1219 »

vamp wrote:Hi Charoli1219, It may help you to add a fifth "meal" before the gym of something like crackers and cheese, or tuna sandwich or something to the effect of a protein and a starchy carb which will help with your energy levels at the gym, especially since you have a poor 2ish pm meal. If I am not mistaken you should be in the realm of 2400 calories a day to achieve the goals you are aiming for and doing the workouts you are doing.
Thanks Vamp. Yep I have tracking calorie intake just recently and it is pretty poor, less than 1000 calories a day, some days I am burning more in exercise than what I am putting into mouth, perhaps this is where the problem is. :( I will defo try and have a snack before heading to the gym. Enjoy your weekend :D
Charoli1219
STARTING OUT

Post by Charoli1219 »

Boss Man wrote:
Charoli1219 wrote: i eat breakfast around 8am each morning, porridge with buckwheat, gojo berries and a scoup or protein powder,

(That's fine)

morning tea at 11ish, normally fresh vegies with dip.

(I'd include a flesh protein source here, or something else like peanuts or low fat cheese)

Lunch is normally around 2.30pm and probably worst meal of this day as this is just a protetin shake

(You can improve on this with simple meal choices like beans on toast, microwaved soup and rice dishes, sandwiches using packet meats and include things like celery sticks, raw carrot, yoghurt pots, sliced pineapple, boiled eggs, fruits including cucumber and tomato and other fruits, nuts etc, so you've got fast easy options)

and dinner is generally late around 7 to 7.30 as this is when I get back from the gym.

i really try to limit carb intake for dinner so this is generaly an omlette packed with vegies or a salad and tuna.

(I would limit the tuna to 3x a week max, as per modern recommendations regarding metal conent. You could switch the tuna for things like chicken, turkey, beef, ham, lamb and pork if you wish, or use lower metal fish like salmon and tilapia in 100g, (3.5Oz) portions a day

Alternatively you could split the 100g into 2x 50g portions, 1 portion of fish for lunch and 1 for dinner, then you add a carb source but have a bit less than usual and then use a mixed carb and protein food to give you the remaining carbs and protein, like rice, peas, beans, mushrooms, corn or lentils.)
As for the option before the gym as Chris suggested, you've got a whole host of things incoluding the ones I suggested like microwaved stuff, meats, fruits, peanuts etc, pretty much everything I have listed somehwere in response, but you could include oat granolas in there as well if you wish.
Thanks Boss Man, diet is obviously failing, but after being on Weight Watchers for quite a few years (no longer though) you get used to calorie tracking and for the exercise I am doing perhaps diet is not sufficient. Goal for next week - eat better :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If you try to aim for about 2,000 calories a day you should be okay.