Pushed too hard. Help!

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

k8lynm22
STARTING OUT

Pushed too hard. Help!

Post by k8lynm22 »

Hello all. I am new here. This is first post. I am in need of some advice about some incredibly sore muscles. I am a 25 year old woman who just started a fire academy. I am not in the best shape. I played 4 sports in high school and was never able to get back to that kind of shape. I can definitely afford to lose a few (probably more like 30) lbs. first day of PT at the fire academy was Saturday. The instructors really pushed us. Not finishing is not even an option. We did several .5 mile runs, 75 lunges on each leg, 75 squats, and 60 push ups. Oh and some sprints too. Now, I can barely walk. I know I need to work on a lot of things but even getting up from a chair is a project. I am concerned that I will be this sore on Saturday when we, again, have PT. I am looking for any advice that could possibly help muscles recover faster. I have no choice but to do every single aspect of PT every week. I have been taking ibuprofen, drinking insane amounts of water, stretching, taking baths, etc. I even walked 25,000 steps at work yesterday which I was hoping would loosen legs up. hamstrings, quads, and glutes are the worst.

I hope I wasn't rambling too much. I just wanted anyone who is able to offer advice to really get the whole picture. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any advice for what I can do Saturday morning or Friday night to better prepare myself for PT Saturday morning?

Thank you to everyone in advance,
Kate
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Pushed too hard. Help!

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Kate, it's really good to talk to you.

Firstly you sound like you have DOMS, (Delayed onset muscle Soreness), which is perfectly okay as it means you haven't pulled or strained anything.

Some people get it recurring for years and some get it initially, but when the muscles are used to the workload a bit more, then it can subside over time.

In your case what might help is going for a short walk afterwards for say 5-10 minutes and / or consider a bit of stretching as well.

You might want to do a it of stretching before the PT stuff, like a bit of dynamic stretching, or if you've done a little bit of light jogging for 3-5 minutes, you could mix in some static stuff as you're muscle should be a bit warmed up, as it's not a really good idea to stretch with cold muscle, as it could slight increase the risk of injuries for some people.

I suspect the ibuprofen might not do much for the DOMS, as NSAIDS work best to mediate, pain, discomfort and inflammation, so unless you feel any relief of some kind using it, then don't bother.

As for what you are doing definitely be proud of your choice and I think you've made a great choice in life to be in a fire academy and I feel really proud of you and want to say GOOD LUCK with that, because I think your above post and your life choice, make me think you're someone with a warm heart and a positive personality and I hope it works out for you, because you seem like someone who deserves a good life.

Hopefully I've explained thing okay for you and if you need anything else at all, or want to ask anything else, or gripe about how hard FA is, or just keep us updated on hopefully how brilliantly you're doing, then we'll be here when you need us and I for one would really like to know how you get on, because people like you interest me, but I hope this works out for you and whatever happens, keep pushing, keep believing, keep smiling, chin up, be strong and remember that you ARE worth it and I'm sure that you CAN do it :).

:clap: :thumb:
OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

Post by OfficeGirl »

I've read that chocolate milk is a great recovery drink. 8-10oz within an hour of your workout will give your body the little bit of sugar and the good protien it needs to repair the muscles you've worked on. Good luck!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Good reasons for that.

1. Fast digesting sugars from the lactose to spike blood sugar.

2. Slow digesting carbs from the cocoa, to elevate glycogen in the muscles.

3. Calcium and other things like phosphorus and vitamins d, k and c, to help your bones strengthen and / or recover.

4. Slow and fast digesting protein to help your muscles recover.