Feeling Oddly Insecure

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

Feeling Oddly Insecure

Post by OfficeGirl »

Maybe someone can help me explain this to myself. I've made several posts about the fact that I lift in the gym at work during lunch break. I have no problems working out with the other ladies from company, but the minute a guy walks in, I feel self concious. I don't know why I feel this way. I know form is good. I also know that face is red and I'm seating all over myself lol. I don't wear skimpy gym clothes. Just cotton shorts and a t-shirt or tank top, though that's a lot more skin showing than slacks and blouse. I've never caught anyone watching me. actually, that's one of the reasons I enjoy working out at lunch: anyone else in there also has to go back to work, so everyone is focused and there's less chatter.
This just started in the last month or so. Maybe I'm afraid that the sweaty me is all they'll think of if we have to work together on anything. I want to be taken seriously at work. I'm looking pretty healthy these days; why would I be afraid if anyone noticed? :huh:
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: Feeling Oddly Insecure

Post by fitoverforty »

OfficeGirl wrote:but the minute a guy walks in, I feel self concious
I think most women feel a bit self conscious at first when working out next to the guys - and the fact that you are working out next to guys that you actually work with daily and will be seeing in the next hour after the workout makes it a bit more nerve wracking. BUT not to worry, like you said you've never caught anyone watching you and everyone is pretty much focused on the same thing, getting their own workout done in one hour.
OfficeGirl wrote:Maybe I'm afraid that the sweaty me is all they'll think of if we have to work together on anything
If they do mention it, it will probably only be because they respect the fact that you are taking your health seriously and your appearance shows it. :sunshine:
OfficeGirl wrote:I want to be taken seriously at work. I'm looking pretty healthy these days
Be proud of your workout ethic and look at it as an opportunity to make some friends in the workplace that you share a love of fitness with. :thumb:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Just try not to worry about it. You're there to do your thing and what matters more, your health and strength, or the remote possibility that some guy who may or may not work in your department, might possibly be intrigued by what you're doing?

Let's face it there's plenty of other females there, so it's not like you're the only one, or it's probably not like the rest of the females do loads of cardio and you're the only one lifting weights, I would presume, otherwise you might feel a bit self conscious of a lot of cardio junkies possibly casting aspersions on your lifting, but I suspect others lift as well.

You're not being irrational, you're just being human, so it's perfectly okay to feel like you do, but just don't let it worry you that much. The only problem I think you might get was if a guy walked in and started transgressing any boundaries, I:E making disparaging comments about how you should be on a treadmill and lifting isn't for you, or saying slightly amorous things that they shouldn't say, in which case just ignore it, or politely tell them not to bother you, but I doubt that's happened I would suggest.

Be proud of you what you're doing and don't let anything about it get inside your head if you can :).

I'm proud of you and have been since you first came here and told us what your life was like, so WELL DONE and stick with it, because you've earned those feelings of pride and a sense of greater fulfillment and betterment of self.

:clap: :thumb:
OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

Post by OfficeGirl »

I pretty much am the only female lifting weights, actually :bugeyes: The other girls hit the treadmill or head to the hoga room for a workout video. Which works for me. I don't like to chat while I'm working out. I'm going to keep at it; I would really hope I wouldnt get into head that far about it. I've been under some extra stress at work (not related to any of the guys at the gym). maybe that's why I'm over analyzing. This is also first experience in a public gym since about high school. I used to be a living room video exercise person. I'm going to do best to refocus and not worry about anyone who's in there with me. I've come too far to stop now anyway 8)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Be proud of what you're doing, you deserve to be and If you lift properly and with the right levels of focus, consistency and effort, you could have a good strong body that will last you the rest of your life.

Now that's a great piece of motivation right there :).
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Have you ever thought about joining Curves?