Tips to get myself motivated to try new things

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

eljm
STARTING OUT

Tips to get myself motivated to try new things

Post by eljm »

Hi, I'm new to the site. About four years ago I satarted weight loss journey. In the first two years I lost between 60 and 70 lbs. In September or October 2012 I stopped exercising because leg was bothering me. The next year or so I did exercise much because of a lot reasons (two grandparents dying about a month apart, brother and his girlfriend moving in and staying in the place where I exercised, and to top off, I started to get anxiety attacks). I have been trying for the last year to get back into a routine, with some days and weeks being better than others. I usually run for an hour a day, five days a week. This may sound stupid, but I run around full basement. Saves me money by not having to go to the gym. Most of the time I don't mind running, but at times I want to try new things but can't seem to get myself motivated to try something different and to stick with it. I will try to work with a resistance band or working out on an exercise bike but after a few times, I get tired of it. I have a treadmill that's probably 20 years old, an exercise bike, a resistance band, and hand weights that are five pounds. Does anybody have any tips on how to motivate myself to try different things without getting bored of it after a few times? Thanks for an tips.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Tips to get myself motivated to try new things

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Eljm nice to talk to you.

There are plenty of ways to stay motivated, like listening to music, or having the TV on while you workout.

If you want to mix it up, then why not switch what you do each day, so running one day, exercise bike the next, treadmill the day after and create a cycle for them, so when you do the different types of exercise for 3-4 days or however many different things you're doing, then you can start again with the first one and repeat the cycle.

Maybe these are ideas that might work for you.

The main thing is, you've been through some difficult things and I completely admire your admissions, because I find them beautiful not tragic and I can tell you are expressing yourself from the heart and it speaks well of you :).

I feel proud of you for finding a way to still believe in yourself and to keep pushing, so keep believing in yourself and be proud of yourself, because you've earned it and please do let us know how you're getting on anytime or if you need any more help and support, as we will be here for you anytime.

GOOD LUCK and best wishes :).
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: Tips to get myself motivated to try new things

Post by musculArgirl2 »

eljm wrote:Does anybody have any tips on how to motivate myself to try different things without getting bored of it after a few times?
Make a game out of it. see how many times you can bike in intervals or mileage or keep track of how long you can do it for each time and how consistently you are at it daily?? that's all that i got. :)