feels like period cramps after workouts

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

feels like period cramps after workouts

Post by OfficeGirl »

Hello again, I have kind of a weird thing going on; I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue. The top of abs is pretty solid, so I've been working on the lower abs a bit more. Today, in addition to lower body lifts, I did plank twists, plank w/toe taps to the outside, side plank with a hip raise, flutter kicks, leg raises with both legs then alternating legs, then planks with walking up and down from elbows to fully extended.
Maybe that's too much for one go? anyway, now I have period-like cramps in lower abdomen and I feel like I need to go to the bathroom without really needing to go to the bathroom. This has happened before. I'm not in terrible pain, but it is uncomfortable. It's not time for period, and I'm defnitely not pregnant.
I've heard of runners getting ab cramps and upset stomachs post-workout. does that happen to lifters too? I'm considering calling the nurse line for OB, but I wanted to ask some athletes first.
anything helps. Thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: feels like period cramps after workouts

Post by Boss Man »

Hey there, good to talk to you again.

Are you doing the abs work on a daily basis or if not, how frequently?
OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

Post by OfficeGirl »

I do abs 5 days/wk. I try to vary the exercises so I don't cause strain on any one area, but I do them every time I work out.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I would limit them to 3 days a week, as some exercises I:E: squats, lunges, cleans, deadlifts etc have an indirect effect on abs anyway, so you might be doing too much in a week.

If you cut down a bit then after 2-4 weeks, you should be able to ascertain if this protocol is making any difference to the issues you're experiencing.
XxJassyxX
STARTING OUT

Post by XxJassyxX »

I often have the same problem! Sometimes i really wonder if period is coming or something :D