Fibromyalgia and CFS trying to get fit

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Blondell
STARTING OUT

Fibromyalgia and CFS trying to get fit

Post by Blondell »

Hello

I'm hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. I am a recently diagnosed (but long time sufferer) of Fibromyalgia and CFS. I underwent a partial hysterectomy a few years ago and unfortunately piled on some extra weight. I was never a "fit" girl, only skinny which was satisfying in youth, I used to be 115lbs. Now in 30th year I struggle with weight. I'm 5'5", 128lbs, when I walk I jiggle. I would prefer to be around 118lbs, that's the weight where double chin disappears and cellulite is less noticeable and I don't feel disgusted with myself. But it's not just about weight, in reality, I'd rather not be fat, I'd rather have muscles and be toned!

disorders make it very difficult to get in shape. I read a lot about cardio and I used to be able to run for hours but these days I get winded and legs become terribly weak. I've tried doing intervals on the treadmill, but not even to the extent that I think a normal beginner would do. I go much slower than I used to be capable of and it still leaves me bed ridden and in pain for a few days afterwards. When I do lunges or squats, or anything that involves legs, including , legs get weak and I have difficulty walking for days and sometimes up to a week afterwards. Any exercise that overexerts me can leave me sleeping for up to 16 hours a day or with excruciating limb pain (this is difficult to describe to non-fibro sufferers, but it's not muscle pain specifically, but pain all throughout the body even if I had only worked out legs). The only thing I've found that I'm capable of doing is moderate weight lifting exercises that don't involve too much exertion on the legs, and maybe a few basic leg exercises in small quantities (like ten lunges in the morning and ten in the evening). I pretty much do about 30 minutes of weight lifting a day and that's it.

It's pretty depressing, I feel as though things are moving at a snail's pace. I've been working out for two months and seem to weigh more than ever and I don't see any difference in physique. And for those who read this and are already assuming, no, I don't thrive on junk food. I'm a pescaterian and because I have food sensitives (IBS) I literally eat nothing but whole foods, no dairy, no gluten, no prepackaged anything except maybe rice cereal if I'm in a pinch. I prep all of own meals and rarely if ever eat out because most restaurant food contains something I shouldn't be eating.

Does anyone with experience have suggestions for ways I can tone and bulk up legs, bum and abdominal muscles without landing myself in pain or complete exhaustion?? illness aside, I'm also a total noob when it comes to fitness and I'm overwhelmed by all the different videos available and conflicting view points. I'm permanently out of work and can't afford a personal trainer, so I'm relying 100% on being self taught.

Thanks in advance!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Fibromyalgia and CFS trying to get fit

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Blondell, good to talk to you.

I appreciate your circumstances are very difficult and it must be frustrating that you cannot do certain things because of your limitations. but you should feel proud of trying to overcome your limitations in whatever way(s) you can.

Obviously some physical conditions can really affect sometimes ability, but sometimes the person themselves can increase their limitations by applying mental qualities to it, for example saying that they can't do this or that because of their condition, when the statement is not based on personal experience but more an assumption of capability at that moment in time.

So sometimes people put mental barriers in their way, handing the condition they have more control over them as people.

In your case I would like to put the exercises to one side for the moment and take a look at what you are eating, so what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
Blondell
STARTING OUT

Post by Blondell »

Hi! Thanks for your response.

I appreciate where you're coming from but I can say with certainty that I'm not applying a limitation on myself, I'm struggling physically. This is quite common for CFS sufferers, we refer to it as a trigger, for some people it's running, others lifting, it can really vary for each individual as can the recovery time. I've experimented with triggers and pushing the boundaries of what I can handle and paid sorely for it. I've discussed it with both doctor and physiotherapist and they feel small workouts are best and that I was trying too hard, but I feel that what I'm doing now isn't enough (mostly just based off of results). It's a weird struggle between meeting the physical needs of someone who is ill but wanting the results of someone who isn't. Maybe what I need is a psychologist? :lol:

I try to keep protein as a main feature of every meal, I eat three meals a day but mixed with one or two snacks in between. I eat eggs in the morning with veg of some kind, and sometimes bacon (I'm mostly pescetarian because of stomach issues so I make the odd exception for different proteins). Most of meals are meat and veg, like a large fillet of fish with fennel, shrimp and bok choy, california roll when I feel up to making it. On rare occasions I'll eat duck breast or cornish hen for fancy dinners with whatever veggies I'm into. I also like to make homemade squash soup from scratch. I eat fruit in moderation usually just as a snack or to dress up a bowl of gluten free rice krispies. I like snacking on walnuts, almonds, pecans, sometimes dates even though they're way too sugary, and I like to blend smoothies out of coconut milk and fruit. I love snacking on a big bowl of spinach with walnuts and strawberries. Holidays and special occasions are the only times I break from healthy eating and might indulge, obviously Easter resulted in a candy binge (which probably isn't as bad as most people would think) but I'm so grossed out with chocolate right now that I think it would take another year before I so much as look at a piece again. :tonguepoke:

Someone once mentioned yoga to me but does that even actually work? Not to sound mean but it just looks like meditative stretching. I really want to build strength in legs so I can get back to something that resembles an actual work out routine and get fit. I would hate for illness to push me into a sedentary lifestyle. I've talked to a lot of Fibro/CFS sufferers who have had that happen to them and they gained a profuse amount of weight. It freaks me out. :(
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

This kind of system might work for you. It's something I've posted before, but it can be tweaked to suit your circumstances.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts).

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for Yoga, it could help, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.