Women And Weights

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

PuroRock327
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: Women And Weights

Post by PuroRock327 »

Dead lifts are a gluteal exercise with synergist contribution for the hamstrings.
When I do deadlifts... glutes are among the last things I feel.
In regards to overworking the legs, EACH muscle group can safely be worked 3 x per week.
I believe in all fairness to your comment and mine we should find out exactly how she is working out her legs each of these days to determine if they are being over-trained.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

It doesn't matter how, as a personal trainer I am aware that 3 x per week is correct.If you do not feel your glut muscle when your doing dead lifts, your doing them incorrectly.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

Bonnie wrote:It doesn't matter how, as a personal trainer I am aware that 3 x per week is correct.If you do not feel your glut muscle when your doing dead lifts, your doing them incorrectly.

After I do the romanian deadlift, the next day I feel sore all over body and recently I am hitting outer lats and traps, too. lower back and hammies are ALWAYS sore..sometimes for 3-4 days at a time.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlift#Muscles_involved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you do not feel this in your gluts your knee's are locked, which causes its own issues.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

I do feel pressure in gluts, but i don't always get sore there as often as the other muscles invovled. Trust me, I can tell you 100% that the deadlift made butt finally look good - even though I am not getting sore, so I know it's worked, but why am I not sore there? I used to be super flat now I have a shape, too!
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

It would depend on how far down you go, in regards to the amount hip flexion.To engage the gluts the knee must be bent even if its only 20 degrees.Do not lower of lift that weight back up with your only your spine.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

I do the same exact thing as shown in the picture, I bend knees, it's almost as if I am squatting, but not. I always keep spine straight as well, never arched.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j17bn-O ... ature=fvwp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PuroRock327
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by PuroRock327 »

I did not say I didn't feel them, I stated it's the least of the muscle groups I feel.
form is actually quite good and I'll be happy to post a video for your discretion if you would like.
Deadlifting heavy weights well over 300lbs tends to use a lot of legs, arms, traps and full body strength to keep the weight and form steady and controlled... again, glutes are not the focus of the lift. I'm certain lifting lighter weights isn't that much different... the exercise remains the same.

Secondly, OF COURSE how someone works out their legs matters. If I work out legs for 2 hours straight three times a week with heavy weights or light weights for reps reaching over 20+ you mean to tell me it doesn't matter? Then I hit the treadmill for another 30 minutes. Then why should anyone follow any type of structured workout?
as a personal trainer
An unnecessary and irrelevant statement... as many are just as misguided and misinformed as the masses and frankly have a bad habit of thinking they know everything.

I'll excuse myself from this conversation.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

As you should after such a personal attack, the reference to as a personal trainer meant I have studied & specialized in a level one weight training.. the way what idiot would train their legs 3 x a week for two hours ? You took an absolute ridiculous level to the conversation.Lifting heavy is NOT foreign to me, just because I'm female. last instructor is who pointed out the muscle group for main utilization, the rest are for stabilization.You seem to believe there is nothing on any topic that you are not knowledgeable about. I know your type, I see them in the gym, daily.I took schooling because people kept asking me how to have physique & I refused to answer until I had facts on anatomy & the working mechanics of, not for a trip down arrogance lane. I will not post after any of your comments hence forth.
lindaalbert
STARTING OUT

Post by lindaalbert »

am 40 weeks pregnant now... I have 75 kgs weight now... after delivery am looking for around 50 kgs weight... What diet I have to follow for achieve 50 kgs weight...
fitandtonedlady
STARTING OUT

Post by fitandtonedlady »

Nobody should tell you how much weight you can lift. A woman will lift what she wants!!
YourTime
STARTING OUT

Post by YourTime »

Boss man, I love your posts!! I agree, weight training saved body!! I lost 120lbs and if I didnt weight train, I would have had to have a lot more reconstructive surgery than I already had!

I am now the owner of a fitness business and its crazy how almost all of female clients are afraid to weight train! After some training and success, they all change their minds LOL... muscle is beautiful and I believe is the missing link to alot of weigh loss endeavors.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That is actually a real difference in the way you look. I have to say WELL DONE to you because you look terrific now and you have have changed your life around.

I have never seen you on here before, but in less than 60 seconds I felt proud of you for who you are now and for how you've changed your life around.

You look fairly strong as well and DEFINITELY a good representation of the things you no doubt espouse and I wish you well and I hope that some of your influence and personality can be used to help people on here, because we are always looking for the next motivator, or the next rolemodel / inspiration and the more the better.

Keep on keeping on Melisa and WELL DONE :).
Trish0102
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Trish0102 »

Great facts! Thanks a lot for sharing these.