Women And Weights

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Women And Weights

Post by Boss Man »

Let's disspell some Myths right now, and educate the wary :).

1. Women can build muscle, but cannot look bulky, unless they eat like a Horse and take sizeable Steroid amounts. A man can have 17" or higher natural Arms, a woman would be around the upper limit for lean Mass for that, and HAVE TO BE taking Steroids, to help them get about 20% of that mass.

2. A Women's physiology does not change with weights, unless you take Steroids, and things like Growth Hormones and possibly Testosterone Boosters, then you might get hoarse Voice, Thick Jaw, Wide Clitoris, Oily Skin, Blemishes, Receeding Hairline, and possibly increased risk of Cardiac Complications, or maybe an outside chance of issues with Periods and lactation.

Most of those except for the skin issues and any Period problems, are irreversable, and also depend on what types of Steroids and Hormones used, and how you dose them.

3. Women benefit from muscle and weight training. Weight training also can increase Bone density, and by the age of about 70-75, last statistic I read, was that Osteoperosis will have already occured for 1 in 3 women in that age range, irrespective of how often it occurs in men or those women older than 75.

Especially as bone density reduces more quickly after 50. You could also get something call Osteopenia, which is something that without proper testing and dietary countermeasures, can cause Osteoperosis for men too.

It's a condition where Bone density is lower than is considered normal, but not so low it's become Osteo, so it could be irreversible.

Incidentally, you can get something called Osteopetrosis, (highlighted due to the similar spelling), which is an abnormal thickening of the Bones, which might cause increased Fractures, and possible Blood Cell problems like Anemia, owing to the fact Bone Marrow produces Blood Cells, so thicker Bones could potentially lead to reduced Marrow levels.

It should be mentioned that men can get it too, though this is not something related necesarily to Bone decline, as it can occur in 3 ways, the worst of which can be had by infants and can be fatal to them.

4. Weightlifting also helps to strengthen connective tissues, and improve things like Metabolism and therefore things like Thyroid activity, owing to the increased levels of muscle mass and decreased Fat. It should be pointed out, that this needs to happen with a good diet. Eat poorly, and such results will happen poorly.

5. Women lifting weights is NOT I repeat NOT wrong, UNLESS, you do it badly, with innapropriate technique and methods.

The only thing wrong with Women lifting weights, is anyone who says it's wrong, and most of those are probably sedentary people, who know diddly squat about lifting weights at all, and should therefore address their own potential health problems, not criticise other peoples health wants.

If anyone has an issue with a woman sporting 12" Arms, that's their problem not the woman's.

6. If you want to lose weight the best way you can, you MUST I repeat MUST weight lift as part of the process.

Good diet is part of the battle, but loads of Cardio instead of some Cardio and Weights, is counterproductive, and dropping from say 250 lbs to 120 lbs is good, but without the extra lean mass and Bone density lifting can give you, your retirement years could look a lot less rosy, and and increased chance of living past 65, from not being overweight, would not be much fun, if your aging body started feeling crummy every time you got out of bed.

If you want to look at people on here who are good rolemodels and lift, then here's some good examples.

Diana B

Boopster

SarahPT

Amatlack and Hope4life. Great results even with their health issues, and both to be admired and looked up to as well.

Even JNicole recently got into lifting more, and already has some decent Arm Curves, to name but one positive point :).

The bottom line here is, if you're a woman who isn't lifting weights, and has no physical reason(s) why you cant, you're potentially setting yourself up for a poorer quality of old age, and if you are someone doing that, and doing it properly, then you should be PROUD of it, and NEVER have to justify it to anyone.

The ignorant who don't understand it and think it's wrong, will almost certainly learn the hard way. The ones who want to learn, will potentially benefit, not just now but later in life too.

Which one are you?
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Thanks for the compliment Boss Man :D Information is power! We certainly share in the hope that women will realize the benefits of a healthy lifestyle which includes lifting weights properly, a cardio program and well balanced diet. It took me a long time to realize this, but once I did the rewards are endless. But more importantly, children know the benefits of a healthy lifestyle and that friends is priceless. Happy lifting girls! :wink:
DianaB
REGULAR

Re: Women And Weights

Post by DianaB »

Boss Man wrote: If anyone has an issue with a woman sporting 12" Arms...
Come on over and talk to me about it, mine are close to 13.
I'm now bigger proportionately than the 1970's GI Joe doll model, he had 12" arms.
I'd only add that rather than training for your "ideal weight" train for performance. Work harder and get stronger every week and your idea of the perfect shape will be realized faster and more efficiently. Be selfish and do it for you, no one else.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

barbie is 7'2" in real life which giant so a ways to go from gi joe to her, i support you anyway D

bossman you forgot to mention Katie and Cassie...oh and texan, i think he's a girl.....
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

swanso5 wrote:barbie is 7'2" in real life which giant so a ways to go from gi joe to her, i support you anyway D

bossman you forgot to mention Katie and Cassie...oh and texan, i think he's a girl.....
Poor Tex, is he still having hormonal problems?

Bossman, excellent Sticky!!! And to all the ladies mentioned by Bossman and Swanso cheers to you and your efforts, you are not only role models for women wishing to get healthy but for men too.

Cheers
JNicole2009
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by JNicole2009 »

Woohoo for the shout out! Thank you so much BossMan for posting this! I love lifting heavy and encourage other women to do the same. I hate that the rumor of lifting heavy = hugeness. Lifting = power! I dead lifted 185 Saturday and it was AMAZING!

What's wrong with curves anyways? Screw barbie! I'd snap her in half, though she could probably step on me since I am so short or poke someone's eye out with her massive boobs.
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

amatlack wrote:
JNicole2009 wrote: What's wrong with curves anyways? Screw barbie! I'd snap her in half, though she could probably step on me since I am so short or poke someone's eye out with her massive boobs.
They say that if Barbie were real, meaning her proportions were put on a life-size woman, she'd fall over...she couldn't exist the way she's built unless she walked on all 4s.

Screw Barbie! Bring back GI Jane! hehe
Barbie is overrated anyway. All she does is tease Ken and boss Skipper around and tell her she'll never be as pretty as her. Hogwash! Go GI Jane! You Rock :lol: And she couldn't step on you or poke your eyes out with her boobs JNicole! Her mascara would run and besides, I got your back girl!
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

wife checked out daughter's Barbie and is pretty sure that Barbie has had a BOOB JOB. Bet ya that cost Ken a pretty penny or perhaps another pink vette. LOL.

185 lbs Jnicole, good job girlfriend!!!! ;)

Cheers
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

What a great message bossman! Thanks for posting that. I hope every woman that comes across this site reads that and applies it to their life! I've the HARDEST time getting through to women at gym about the benefits of heavy weight lifting. What is with those gals that come in to the gym every day, hop on the elliptical for 30 minutes, and call that a workout? Haven't they noticed that they've been doing that for YEARS and haven't seen any results? Drives me bonkers!

I have had some luck with encouraging weight lifting at gym by putting on a "total body training" class 3 days a week. The class is a combination of weight exercises (bodyweight and dumbell) as well as plyometrics and stretching (at the end of every class). I've been doing the class for a couple of months now and have watched the people taking the class transform both mentally and physically. Its SO awesome to see people change their perceptions on exercise, body image, and physical appearance through diet and exercise. I just love this stuff!

PS Thanks for the shout out swanso. You're advice on this site has helped me immensly!
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

swanso5 wrote:barbie is 7'2" in real life which giant so a ways to go from gi joe to her, i support you anyway D

If I looked like Barbie, I'd stick a fork in eye.
Let's see: little twigs for arms and legs, no and huge . Plus perpetually over arched feet. A nightmare.
But thanks for the support, I think.
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Ur Killing me Diana!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
milly
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by milly »

Hi Boopster,

What is a typical days eating plan that you do?

Just wondering how clean you eat, to get that awesome body. I am seriously going to use you as something to aspire to!!
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

This over 50 gal just starting lifting 6 months ago and love, love, love it! Lately though it hasn't loved me - gotta get that form down pat or you can hurt yourself :( Finally got up to 100 lb dead lifts and pulled hamstring, I figure I wasn't keeping the bar close enough to body, not sure.- now on third day off from working out for some serious rest and repair - this after having a hard time taking 1 day off a week. shins are bothering me too - legs overall seems to be failing me and lower body has always been strength.

Hopefully I'll be back on track tomorrow - any advice would be more than appreciated! I hate being down like this... :cry: :cry:
Last edited by ldematto on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd suggest possibly RICEing it, and then if possible try to train as best as possible. If you find any exercises are going to directly cause an pain issue, consider lowering the weight and seeing where your tolerance threshold is.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

RICEing it?