Have put on 17lbs since started on the depo-provera shot

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

samlondon
STARTING OUT

Have put on 17lbs since started on the depo-provera shot

Post by samlondon »

Ok so I was all about losing weight and I thought I was doing good, I had started to eat healthy and felt I was trying, wasnt seeing much results but I knew I was trying, then I decided to try out the Depo provera contraceptive shot, well I have one month left to go and I have put on 17lbs, not good. At all. It feels like I have taken one step forward and 3 steps back. When the shot is out system will it take a long time for that extra weight to come off, now I have to lose 60lbs instead of 40lbs and Im worried that I am going to put on more weight in the next month, I am trying to eat healthy still and im walking 2 miles a day but it is doing absolutely nothing
samlondon
STARTING OUT

Re: Have put on 17lbs since started on the depo-provera shot

Post by samlondon »

I am eating healthier than I was before I got on the shot, I have given up all fast foods and eat nothing greasy anymore, I bake everything and try to boil or steam everything else in between. I have been told recently that the odds of you putting on weight with the Depo Prevera shot are high but as long as you work out while you are on it, your body will get used to working out and once in is out of your system, the weight will come off easy (told to me by the people who gave me the shot and someone at GNC) I am trying to eat little and often instead of lots in one go and I try to not eat dinner too late either
warrioress
STARTING OUT

Re: Have put on 17lbs since started on the depo-provera shot

Post by warrioress »

I did the depo shot years ago and it too made me gain weight. I exercised and ate right and did everything I knew to do and could not lose a pound after gaining whereas before the depo shot I could shed pounds on a good routine. I talked to OB/GYN about it and he said I could stop getting the shot but that it would take about 9 months for it to get out of system. So I did stop and used other methods of BC and sure enough, when that ninth month came around, I started losing weight. That's what worked for me but you should consult your doctor. Depo seems to retain water and I hated it. I thought it would be a nice convenient thing but is not worth all the side affects. I didn't stay on it for long. Now, I think I have some issues with taking that crap. I am 44 and I don't lose weight as easily as I used to. Not sure if its just the over 40 thing or because I took those shots. I would never recommend that shot. There are safer and "less fattening" methods of BC. I when back to the "rhythm" method. Just what was best for me. Didn't like the pills or anything else. Just wasn't natural. I guess I kind of wanted God to be BC coach and that's what I did and eventually hubby got snipped when we were ready to shut the baby factory down. To each their own but the way I look at it, anything you take that altars your hormones, can't be good in the long run. Our bodies can only take so much. Taking your temp and keeping watch on your cycle is better. :oops: More chances of getting pregnant but I would welcome more kids if I could. They are gifts from God. I now have 3 kids and love being a mom! Good luck.