Losing "spare tire"

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Calgamer
STARTING OUT

Losing "spare tire"

Post by Calgamer »

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on losing the fat I've picked up around stomach, sides, and lower back (the so-called spare tire).

I'm 21, about 200 lbs, and 6' tall. About a year and a half ago I was about the same height and about 160 lbs. I got tired of the small/skinny guy look and wanted to bulk up so back in July I started going to the gym again with hopes of putting on some muscle weight.

Right now I go to the gym every other day which works out to be 3-4 times/week. All I do when I go though is bench, curl, and work triceps using a machine. arms/upper body are focus obviously and I've seen enormous results. I've also picked up (as mentioned above) some fat. Now, I'm not looking for the ultimate abs or anything like that. I'd just like to flatten stomach and sides in particular a bit.

diet isn't atrocious. I eat enough to gain muscle in arms and after workout I bulk up with some whey, but otherwise it's a standard college-kid diet. I have some friends that workout a lot and most of them have similar stomach issues as well. They seem to think it's from drinking, but I only really drink heavily one day a week, so I can't honestly imagine that to be the cause.

Anywayyys, I'm thinking I need to add in some exercises to help combat this fat. Like I said, all I do are arm workouts at the moment and nothing core-related. I've tried sit-ups, crunches, various machines, but I'm not sure any of it was helping.

To conclude: As mentioned, I have access to a fully equipped gym, so given that, any advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Cal
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Losing "spare tire"

Post by Boss Man »

Go for a basic style of workout then.

Squats

Lunges

Deadlifts

Bench Press

Bent over Rows

Shrugs

Planks

In that order

You do each one for 2 sets of 10 and the planks for a minute.

As for the food, what choices do you have and what times do you have them?
cherubino7
STARTING OUT

Post by cherubino7 »

Hey Calgamer,

I remember gaining a lot of weight when i was in college also, so I can understand your frustration.

Let me get the bad news out of the way first: You CANNOT lose fat in just those areas, UNLESS those are the only places your body happens to store fat. The myth of Spot-reduction is just that: a myth. That does not mean you cannot get the results you want. Because there is also good news. By adding the muscle you have, you have given your body more fat burning potential, so you should only need to make a few changes to see your desired results.

First thing. Change your routine. If you are doing the same workout every time, you more than likely hit your plateau a long time ago, you are probably seeing little or no gains at this point. Start incorporating multi joint movements to hit more muscles at once and confuse your body back into hypertrophy. Try dumbbell pressing instead of barbell, and military press and pull ups for your arms lats and shoulders for a complete upper body look. (don't neglect your lower body either, as your legs have tons of fat burning muscle fibers to help you) Doing your exercises on a stability ball will hit even more fibers and help build more muscle and burn fat quicker. Change is the best remedy to keep your body growing in the right direction.

Secondly. What is a college kid diet? What you are eating throughout the day is far more important than your post workout shake. I suggest you log your food for 2 weeks to see how many calories you are really taking in. You may be shocked at how much you are really eating in a given week. Alcohol contains calories, so include alcohol in your log.

One night of heavy drinking can double or even triple your daily caloric needs. Coupled with drunken snacking, you may be drinking your six pack into hibernation.

Keep us posted on what changes you make, so we can celebrate with you.

Best of luck, and keep your health a priority!!!
Calgamer
STARTING OUT

Post by Calgamer »

Thanks for the replies!

I'll definitely see about adding in some of those exercises, although I won't lie, I'm going to have to look up what some of them are haha.

As for food, I have access to pretty much everything nearly all day. I typically eat when I wake up, usually a sandwich or whatever I feel like. Then I'll have something for dinner. Again, it's usually whatever I want. I don't push myself past fullness. It's not like I'm getting fat, I've just put some of the weight into midsection. There are days when I know I'm under 1500 calories for sure.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll have to start trying some of these other exercises.
ObesityOverload
STARTING OUT

Post by ObesityOverload »

I would suggest doing compound exercises.
They are exercises that work out more than one body part at a time. (Pushups, deadlifts, ect.)
Also, you should work out your legs harder.
The reason is that the leg muscles are bigger and therefore burn more calories than the biceps or even chest muscles.

Good luck!

~Obesity Overload
http://obesityoverload.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Calgamer
STARTING OUT

Post by Calgamer »

goal for workout tomorrow is going to be to incorporate squats, lunges, and deadlifts, while still curling and benching.

And if spot-reduction is truly a myth, how do I lose the weight without losing muscle weight as well? Will simply keeping the exercise routine going be enough to sustain muscle and even keep it growing?

Thanks again for all the advice!
ObesityOverload
STARTING OUT

Calgamer, in response to your question about retaining muscle and losing the weight.
You can work out all you want but combing it with the diet is the only thing that will help you lose weight.
The muscle retention will come if you work out because muscle is heavier than fat is. :D
I drink protein shakes 30 minutes before I work out to insure that muscle isn't going anywhere.
Hope I have helped!

ObesityOverload
http://obesityoverload.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Calgamer
STARTING OUT

Post by Calgamer »

You have! Thanks

Another question, though, sorry. Is there any benefit to having a protein shake prior to a workout vs. during or after? I always make one afterwards. Also, what's the trick to knowing how much protein is enough? I'm also worried that maybe I'm going overkill with the whey, and I know excess protein pretty much ends up as fat.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It depends. The arginine in protein would dilate bloodvessels and things like Phenylalanine and Tryptophan exert hypothalamic effects, by assisting the body to make mood hormones and one with Carbs would give you mroe energy to use for workouts, though a decent meal would provide that.

However I think it's better personally to take one afterwards, because I question why someone would take something designed to grow and / or repair muscle and then break down muscle, as that's counterproductive to the products intended actions.

That's just thoughts on why it's better to have one afterwards, but some people would disagree.
Calgamer
STARTING OUT

Post by Calgamer »

Right, that was the logic I always employed, that I'm using the protein to repair, so it's better after.

Of course, I'm starting a new diet today which involves only one large meal and then protein bars/shakes to supplement throughout the day, so chances are I'll end up with protein drinks both prior to and after a workout.
ObesityOverload
STARTING OUT

Calgamer,
I do see what you are trying to do with the protein.
I use it to repair as well.
However, if you take it 15-20 minutes before your workout, it gets into your system and begins to work as soon as your growth hormones release! (double the power)
So much as how much is enough, I am aiming for about 80-100 grams of protein. (Beginner bodybuilding amount)
Check out this website, it helped me understand how much protein. http://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-ne ... s-protein/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you are still getting a lot of fat, then watch your sugar, salt, and fat intake.

Happy bodybuilding/weight loss! :D
~Obesity Overload
Calgamer
STARTING OUT

Post by Calgamer »

Cool, I started working it in prior as well.

I've got a lot of things to work with and I have a plan in place. Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I'll be able to report some good news in a couple months.

Thanks guys!