Need some advice.

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Kris017
STARTING OUT

Need some advice.

Post by Kris017 »

I'm a 38 year old make, I'm overweight (277 lbs), I want to lose weight and get into shape. I've recently stated eating healthy, eat lots of baked chicken, vegetables. No longer do I sit down and eat a family sized bag of chips, or a whole large pizza on own. But it's the motivation I'm having the hardest time with. I will tell myself I'm going to go to the gym, I pack bag, then I make an excuse to not go. How do I over come this? Is there a work out regiment I can try that might yield some quick results to boost that motivation (maybe if I are some rapid progress it might help).
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: Need some advice.

Post by musculArgirl2 »

You know i struggle with that same issue. Not only getting to the gym but also i've thought that if i could lose weight faster it would help with motivation and sticking to it.

getting to the gym is a pain for me. i much prefer to workout at home and have been more successful with working out at home. Maybe you can find buy a new or used elliptical or spin bike on craigslist to have at your house for cardio. That's what i've done in the past.

Bossman can comment on the workout routine i can't help with that. Good Luck!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Kris good to talk to you.

Well there is a basic type of routine you can do to get yourself started for the first few weeks.

Squats, 2 sets 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets 10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps

Planks, 30-45 seconds

With the squats, rows and deadlifts, you can use the smallest barbell you can find and with the lunges and bench press, the second smallest dumbbells and the smallest ones for shrugs.

You do that 3x a week and every couple of weeks you increase a bit until after around 6 weeks your body should be ready to go close to max lifting and the planks can be increased by 5 seconds a week.

You could add cardio in as well which would look something like this

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off

You could do something like HIIT or interval as an effective cardio type, but you'd be wise to stick to level 1-2 for the first couple of weeks or so until you feel more ready to go for a harder intensity.

As for the diet, what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
Kris017
STARTING OUT

Post by Kris017 »

Sorry for the late reply.

Breakfast around 8am. Usually whole wheat toast and either peanut butter or jam on it.

Lunch around noon. Kinda vary depending on what I make for kids

Supper around 6pm. Chicken breast with potatoes and a veg (corn or peas usually), pasta, pizza occasionally,
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Not too bad, although you could add a couple of other meals in there as well around 10AM and 3PM.

You've got plenty of options that can be used as full snacks or components of snacks, like microwave baked beans, soup and rice dishes, fruits including tomato and cucumber, vegetables including pineapple, raw carrot and celery sticks, ham, turkey, chicken and beef from a packet, low fat cheese, nuts, peanuts, low sugar yoghurt, bread, sandwiches, pre-boiled eggs, as you mentioned and flax seeds.

Just so you know, corn is actually a grain and peas are legumes, so neither are vegetables. Not criticising, just being informative :).

Hopefully the aforementioned options will be beneficial for you.
shhbreak
STARTING OUT

Post by shhbreak »

Well theres nothing that beats success as a motivational tool (fact). So basically the best workout motivation you get is when you start seeing the results. In order to accomplish that, you need to your diet and stick with it, you already said youve started working on that aspect, but for the information you gave i would guess you still need some tuning on the diet part. No diet is good, if you arent burning enough calories(and fat), so you also need to step up your exercising routine, maybe start with a walk/jog in the morning, this helps you kickstart your metabolism which is essential for losing weight. So, monitor your diet + build a work out routine + some small lifestyle changes should get you started seeing results, which WILL give you the boost in motivation
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Try going to the gym 1st thing in the morning, before work. Sometimes I make excuses after work due to being tired, so I like to get workout in beforehand.
Sofi26
STARTING OUT

Post by Sofi26 »

If you cant stay motivated or you dont want to leave the house, you can try http://www.insha.pe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that is online personal workout live (like using skype). mom is working out for a month because her health issues , and she is satisfied. You can workout that way anytime anywhere , so you can not make any more excuses :)