Drinking water before a meal

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

FrankDavis
STARTING OUT

Drinking water before a meal

Post by FrankDavis »

Is drinking water before a meal recommended? I've seen that if I take a glass of water before a meal, it takes less of a meal for me to feel satisfied. So I was thinking about doing this with every meal to see how much of an impact it has on weight loss. What do you think?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Drinking water before a meal

Post by Boss Man »

It is a merit worthy approach to weight loss. The idea being that the water expands the stomach somewhat and this means when you eat you will feel fuller sooner.

However you must be careful with this, as if you're eating differently now and getting adequate nutrition, then using this method would make you feel fuller before you finish a adequately nourishing meal, so you'll waste the remaining nutrition potentially at detriment to yourself.

As an example, if you eat a 400 calorie meal consisting of healthy food, then consuming water before a meal and feeling fuller before you finish eating, you might waste 50+ calories of good nutrition, which wouldn't be a good idea.

Therefore this technique would work before eating adequate nutrition, to discourage eating any extra food you wouldn't want to have, but if it stops you finishing an adequate meal, then it's to your detriment.
GettingFitFinally47
STARTING OUT

Post by GettingFitFinally47 »

I typically drink a glass of water if I'm having a cheat meal because I still get the satisfaction of eating a tasty pizza or burger but then I don't end up eating more after so it limits Extra eating. I don't drink before meals that I personally prepare however cause they are way too tasty and I want all the veggies and turkey meat that body needs.

Glass of water before cheats = awesome though.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

GettingFitFinally47 wrote:I typically drink a glass of water if I'm having a cheat meal because I still get the satisfaction of eating a tasty pizza or burger but then I don't end up eating more after so it limits Extra eating. I don't drink before meals that I personally prepare however cause they are way too tasty and I want all the veggies and turkey meat that body needs.

Glass of water before cheats = awesome though.
Glass of water + 3-4 fiber pills before a cheat meal, works for me!
SuppleLion
STARTING OUT

Post by SuppleLion »

same here (re drinking a glass of water before a cheat meal). If you drink a (cold especially) glass of water it'll help you become satiated faster and possibly keep you from eating as much as you would otherwise. It definitely doesn't hurt, so why not see if it works for you. If anything, you'll be getting extra hydration and help with digestion.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It's a difficult one that relating to the water aiding digestion, as water could decrease the molecular density of the stomach contents, making them easier to break down in theory, but as it's an alkaline substance it would be encouraging a temporary reduction of the acidic PH, which might possibly be a tad counterproductive.