Suggestion to help me lose more weight?

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Harkru
STARTING OUT

Suggestion to help me lose more weight?

Post by Harkru »

I have now for about 6 months been trying to lose weight, starting weight was 134kg in December and now its at 125kg. I have been to a doctor that told me to eat 2000 calories daily. I try to train 5 days a week, with body-squats and other exercises at home. I also try to get at least 30 min walks 3 times a week. issue is that weight loss is totally stopped. I rather not go lower than 2k calories, as I am quite hungry after I work out. height is 178, 36, weight 125kg. eating habits are really not that fixed, I try to eat for breakfast Greek yogurt with hazelnuts and almonds, lunch is some Swedish crispy bread, with fresh mozzarella and milk, and dinner is either chicken or fish/shrimps with cooked lentils with a salad. Any suggestion to what I can change to continue to lose weight?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Suggestion to help me lose more weight?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Harkru, good to speak with you.

The doctor may have made a sight mistake on the calories as adult males should aim for about 2,000 calories a day if they are sedentary, but active males could get more, because it's allowing extra fuel for exercise and helping to prevent a possible "starvation mode", where the body thinks it's being starved and clings onto fat.

You could add more protein into the breakfast with things like chicken, ham, turkey, eggs or beef.

As for other meals I'd suggest adding mid-morning, mid-afternoon and mid-evening snacks in your regime as well.

There are plenty of things you can use to make up whole snacks or that can be parts of snacks like microwave baked beans, soup and rice dishes, fruits including tomato and cucumber, vegetables including pineapple, raw carrot and celery sticks, flax seeds, peanuts, nuts, low fat cheese, low sugar yoghurts, ham, beef, turkey, pork and chicken from a packet, pre-boiled eggs, low sugar yoghurts, oat granolas, bread and sandwiches.

I'd aim for around another 100-200 calories with snacks and see how that works out.
Harkru
STARTING OUT

Post by Harkru »

Thank you for your reply Boss Man. I have been to the doctor again, and the doctor suggestested that I should increase to 2,500 cal/day, since activity level is high.

Is there any specific amount of protein I should try to aim for? I am getting fat's from Omega 3 tablets, nuts, seeds, avocados and salmon. Thou the salmon takes a huge bite of daily calories and this is something I don't really like. Also trying to keep carbs down, and drinking milk makes it quite a challenge to balance since the lactose in the milk spikes daily carb numbers. I also really cant do this snack in between meals, I have tried it and it is really not something for me. I can take breakfast 500-600 cal, lunch 600-700, dinner 700-800 cal and what ever will be left of meal budget will be filled at an evening meal.

I will try to have more proteins with meals, is there any major difference what kind of protein source is used? The doctor mentioned that I should try to avoid pork products as they had an enzyme or something like that, that made it harder to lose weight. question is is there any protein source I should avoid and is there any protein source that I should prefer?

Again thank you Boss Man for taking the time to reply to questions in this forum.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I've never heard of any specific protein foodstuffs to avoid, except ones obviously linked to intolerances I:E cheese, milk, nuts, peanuts, soy products etc. I've heard of a no pork thing for certain religions, but not necessarily for diet purposes, except from the vegan / vegetarian viewpoint.

I think you could aim for between 30%-40% protein per meal, so depending on the rations of the others, for protein / carbs / fats, you could go 40/30/30, 35/30/35, or 33/33/33.
Harkru
STARTING OUT

Post by Harkru »

Thank you again for the reply.
Sarah82
STARTING OUT

Post by Sarah82 »

You can replace sugar to stevia. It is sweeter than sugar three times, and contains 0% sugar ( has a zero glycemic index). As a result, not cause spikes in insulin levels and hunger wolf attacks. As a result, the body does not have to put excess insulin in the form of fat. Combine sugars, fats contribute to weight gain. Stevia is suitable for cooking, baking, frying.
fitncer
STARTING OUT

Post by fitncer »

You know there are many types of diets one can use. As well as exercise plans. But this study from the University of Copenhagen suggest a way to exercise less and lose weight more.

Here is what they suggest:
Men who exercised less lost an average of 7 pounds in 3 months compared to 5 pounds of weight loss among the men who worked out for an hour a day.
The study, according to Rosenkilde is unique because it targeted a group of men who are often overlooked: men who are healthy and moderately overweight. In Denmark, that’s 40% of the population.
Reference: http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/exercise ... ore-weight