Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Dawn of Triumph
STARTING OUT

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post by Dawn of Triumph »

This is going to be a pretty long-winded post, but I'll try to keep it short. Oh, and hi! :wave: I'm glad to be here.

So name's Alex, and for the past couple of months I have been going on daily walks over at the local park. I go every morning before the start of the day. Now, just to give you guys an idea of what that entails, I have to walk up a steep hill from house up to the park. This leaves me pretty winded to begin with, but then I also walk a full lap around the entire place once I get there. Now, the park is huge. The biggest in city. It has a massive baseball field (which is really just a field and a freakishly wide expanse of grass), a soccer field, a picnic area, play areas, a small basketball court, two parking lots, a tennis court, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

Anyway, there is a trail that loops around the outermost portions of the park, and that is the trail I take every day. I don't even skip weekends.

I don't post this to toot own horn, far from it. It's not a big accomplishment, and I just wanted to give you guys an idea of workout routine. But I know it's not enough.

I want to start adding running to the mix. I've heard of interval training, and I wonder if that is the best way to go. I recently saw a woman running with her dog, and she was doing exactly that: running around one side of the park, walking on the other side, running again, etc. It seemed like a really smart idea to me. But I'm no expert, obviously.

And I do wonder... are these workouts pointless considering how I spend the remainder of days eating, sitting around, etc? I do go grocery shopping a lot though, so I still keep active (kind of, not really), but I do have to wonder. And worry. Are morning workouts still the way to go?

I just want to lose weight. I don't care about building muscle or getting rock hard abs. I'm just tired of being fat. I'm not obese, but I am definitely fat, and I just want to be skinnier and more fit for once. Is running every morning, with or without the interval training, enough to achieve this goal? Or do I need to do more? And how exactly does interval training work? Do I just run as fast as I can, then take a break by walking, then rinse and repeat? Or is it more of a jog?

Gah, so many questions :huh:

Finally, and I almost forgot to mention this, but eating right has never been a problem for me. I don't even drink soda or eat candy (I just don't care for either that much... lucky me, I guess?), and breakfast usually consists of a granola bar and milk, lunch consists of a sandwich and chips, and dinner consists of meat, rice (I'm Chinese), and vegetables. I could go into more detail if you guys want, but once again, I just want to give you guys an idea just in case. I've never had to post something like this before on a forum, haha.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Alex, good to talk to you.

This system might work regarding your exercise.

Week 1.

You walk for 2 minutes 50 seconds and jog for 10 seconds. This is a mini-cycle and you do 10 of these, so your exercise will take 30 minutes in total, which you will do each session every week. You do this 5 days a week, so I recommend, 3 training days, one day off, 2 training days, 1 day off.

This scheduling of the 5 days remains the same each week.

Week 2.

You walk for 2 minutes 40 seconds and jog for 20 seconds.

Week 3.

You walk for 2 minutes 30 seconds and jog for 30 seconds

You should start to see a pattern now.

You use a fairly flat circuit to build up your 30 minute jogging ability. The hill at the start of your route will have to stay in it, but you'll be fine with that when you're a bit fitter, but the rest of the route should remain pretty flat.

When you can jog 30 minutes a day without walking any of it, then you have options.

A: Try to cover more distance by speeding up over the 30 minute period, then perhaps experiment in the following weeks with a more undulating course and / or duration.

B: Use a more undulating course, then perhaps experiment in the following weeks with speed and / or duration.

C: increase the distance you run by adding another 5 minutes a week to the duration, until you're doing an hour or more, or as long as you feel necessary each session, then perhaps experiment in the following weeks with speed and / or a more undulating course.