Advice Required

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

OldWolf
STARTING OUT

Advice Required

Post by OldWolf »

Good Afternoon,

For most of life i have had the dubious fortune to never gain any weight, even as i got older i was always at or below 10 stone, but i have recently put on a significant amount of weight (or at least its significant to what i am used to) and have developed something of a paunch. Nothing that i can account for has changed, eating habits are as unhealthy as always (in the sense that i only eat once or twice a day) although i NEVER eat any junk food such a take away or McDonalds, i don't drink alcohol and i exercise the same as ever albeit not much.

I am 29, haven't a clue what i weigh and never pay much attention to it because it never changed until now. The amount of muscle i have is as negligible as always. However i have come to the conclusion that i really SHOULD be doing something about it, body image of myself has never been great. I am, as they say, the stereotypical nerd; thin, pale and weak.

I also talk too much.

I would like some advice on what i can do to lose the stomach, maybe add some muscle, and to keep it that way. I have time in the day to do exercises, i have a small set of dumbells i can use and a bike i can ride. I am also willing to change diet if its necessary (and it probably is).

diet consists of chips (from a freezer) and some cooked chicken (supermarket stuff they cook themselves) or a microwave meal. That is eaten around 5pm and is usually the only thing i eat in the day, sometimes i may have some toast at night as well.

Not sure if i missed anything so let me know if theres anything else.

Thank you.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Advice Required

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Oldwolf, it's good to talk to you.

This is the sort of thing I post for people sometimes and you might find it useful.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this, which is all bodyweighted.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Good Mornings, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Pull-ups, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

In relation to the training ideas I gave you above, your bodyweight workouts and cardio schedule could look something like this.

Day 1. Bodyweight

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Bodyweight

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Bodyweight

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.

This can be altered to accommodate the weights you've got but it depends on what they are.