Weight Loss Advice

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

howtobereal
STARTING OUT

Weight Loss Advice

Post by howtobereal »

Sorry if I'm breaking noob/new user rules for posting on this section, but I found myself really desperate for help on losing weight.
I'm a 20 year old college student, fairly involved on campus, and go to the gym maybe one or twice a week (at best). I'm 5 foot 11 and 250 or so pounds. I've come to the realization that I have never been in shape, or merely comfortable with body yet I don't do much about it. Until last year, I've committed myself to the gym more than before. Throughout high school I played varsity baseball, but lost very light weight. The lighest I was in high school was probaby 220-230. I want to commit to losing 50lbs by birthday on May 2015. I know with the right workout guidance and meal plan I can achieve this.

I've attached some photos of .

I reiterate that I am a college student in California, so I am also on a college budget when it comes to groceries. I eat out most of the time, drink mostly water. I really want to change lifestyle. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Weight Loss Advice

Post by Boss Man »

Hi HTBR good to talk with you.

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?

I will address potential training options in due course.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

I'm sure with the correct dedication/meal plan you will get the results you desire. Welcome and good luck!
howtobereal
STARTING OUT

Post by howtobereal »

Boss Man wrote:Hi HTBR good to talk with you.

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?

I will address potential training options in due course.
I eat roughly 3 times a day, and I really don't catch much breakfast. Typically in the morning I'll have an orange, take one-a-day pill, and a water bottle. I'll have a chicken or turkey sandwich right after 9:00am class. At around 5pm, I'll eat two tuna sandwiches and an apple. I only drink water with both these meals. 'll also drink a Rockstar once a day in the evening to survive the long day. Since I am part of a club I'll be fairly busy in the evening so I could only fit in another meal (if I'm lucky) at 11pm. Depending on how hungry I am I either make myself a pb&j sandwich on multigrain bread and a glass of milk (whole), or I just make myself a cereal (Trader Joe's Vanilla Almond Cluster cereal). This is what an ideal day looks like for me food wise. Maybe 2 days out of the week, I'll just be eating junk food such as Taco Bell, Jack In The Box. I'd really like to incorporate more vegetables to diet. Like I've stated before, I am open to a positive diet.
Thank you for the speedy response!
howtobereal
STARTING OUT

Post by howtobereal »

Alinshop wrote:I'm sure with the correct dedication/meal plan you will get the results you desire. Welcome and good luck!
Thank you very much! :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

This is the sort of thing I post for people sometimes and you might find it useful.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

Minor adjustments can be made if necessary.

As for the "one a day pill", is that medicinal or some kind of fat burning / thermogenic thing?

If it's medicinal please don't feel the need to explain if you'd rather not, as I wouldn't want to appear as if I was prying into someones medical concerns.
astrafine14
STARTING OUT

Post by astrafine14 »

I think you can do it with diet more or less strict with excercises, will, above all, you can do it !!! Welcome and good luck
PierreMayer
STARTING OUT

Post by PierreMayer »

Change your food habit:
1] Ignore junk food
2] Eat vegetables
3] Have 25-30 grams fibre everyday
4] Eat well balanced breakfast containing protein, carbohydrate, pieces of fruit.
5] Try consuming less sugar than usual.
6] Drink more water
7] Ignore starchy foods like potatoes, rice, pasta and breads
8] Eat less calories and fat stuffs.

Exercises:
Get at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise 5 days a week. Walking counts, as long as it's brisk enough that you work up a sweat and breathe harder, with your heart rate faster than usual.

And yes you can join Yoga, Pilates or Blasts Fitness Classes.

Hope that helps.

Good luck
PM
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

PierreMayer wrote: 7] Ignore starchy foods like potatoes, rice, pasta and breads
These foods are nutritious. Ignorance of them can be observed, of course, but I prefer the notion of moderating them over abstaining.
ClaraBear24
STARTING OUT

Post by ClaraBear24 »

I don't believe in cancelling out certain foods unless they give you a nasty reaction. I believe moderation is the best form! Making sure that your meals are nutritious and fun at the same time. Cutting out foods risks you not digesting them well the next time you consume. This happened for me a gluten. Cut it out almost 6 months and would get nasty upset in stomach when I took some. Now I can eat it again easily but in moderation.