A beginner with absolutely no clue where to begin.

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ovil200
STARTING OUT

A beginner with absolutely no clue where to begin.

Post by ovil200 »

Stats

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 202 lb
23 years old, non-smoker. I love beer.

You might be thinking "Ovil, that's not that bad!", but the problem is that I have very little muscle and the bulk of body fat is center right around tummy. I literally look 7 months pregnant, which is obviously a huge drain on confidence.

But with that said, I'm ready to make a change.

I work a desk job for 10 hours a day, 4 days a week, so obviously I don't get much exercise. I work from home, so getting up and moving isn't too much of an issue. apartment has a gym, and on days I actually do go into the office, we have a gym there as well, so I have no excuses. I just need to stop being lazy.

Working from home for a major corporation with basically no management requires two things to keep job: organization and routine. It's what I'm great at.

problem is that I have no routine. I have absolutely no idea where to begin. I don't know what to eat. All I've been eating is chicken, white rice, and dark greens, and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with the diet alone, so I've started exercising (but I have to admit that I really, really love beer, which I'm definitely cutting out of diet. It's how I got this gut in the first place).

So, I'm curious, what should I eat? What should workout routine be? Thursday - Saturday are off-days from work, so feel free to throw in some physical torture those days.

goal is to cut about 30 pounds (unless I just replace that weight with muscle, which I'd actually prefer).

I'm a huge newbie and hope you guys can lend a hand. Thanks in advance guys.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: A beginner with absolutely no clue where to begin.

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Ovil good to speak with you.

Maybe this kind of system might work for you. It's something I've posted before.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this, which is all bodyweighted.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Good Mornings, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Vertical Flyes, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

In relation to what to use, go for the second smallest barbell on the squats and deadlifts and the smallest on bent over rows.

Use the second smallest dumbbells on bench press and lunges and the smallest ones on shrugs.

Then every 2 weeks increase the weight a little bit and then after around 6 weeks, you'll be ready to lift close to max lifting for reps, bearing in mind you don't need to do failure training, as it's not necessary and wastes more energy.

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Re: A beginner with absolutely no clue where to begin.

Post by Alinshop »

I bet if you lay off half the beer you would lose some of your beer gut! It's amazing what cutting out alcholic beverages will do for the body! :)