'Ello all!

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

static_jacket
STARTING OUT

'Ello all!

Post by static_jacket »

Just wanted to say hello and add that I am very much a beginner and in dire need of guidance. I just joined a gym, and get a few personal training sessions for free for joining, but I'm going to need to probe this community for advice. I signed on for 18 months, so I guess I have to be dedicated and get to pumping iron and burning fat, I'd rather burn that than money.

I'm a 25 year old , 6' tall, 240 lb and I am first to admit, most of that mass is definitely not lean!

I have a particular lifestyle, I work in doing heating and air conditioning as a service technician. So basically, I have a mix of being a long haul trucker and a construction worker. It confuses body, and more importantly mind in relation to fitness. I never know what to answer when putting in calorie counters because some days I lean more towards sedentary, other days I'm very active.

goal is like most peoples' in America, shed most of fat and put on some muscle. I cannot afford to lose strength, as I need muscles to lift pretty heavy things sometimes for work.

I'll be asking things specifically in their respective sub-forums, but there are some things I really need to ask right away:

1) I have to work out early in the mornings, no exceptions. I understand this is not ideal, but girlfriend and I are on a tight budget and can only afford one car, so I need to use the car in the mornings to go to the gym. That being said; What should I eat super early in the morning? I've heard you should wait an hour before eating after waking up to maximize effects of weight loss, but I'm already going into work an hour later, and waking up an hour earlier to work this into day. Now, what's good to eat before cardio days? A ratio of carbsrotein (this is tricky, about half of the research i've done comes up with "4:1 ratio of protein:carbs" the other half is completely the opposite, "4:1 ratio of carbs:protein"). Would something like either, oatmeal and some dried fruit, or 1/2 a grapefruit and a slice of toast be an appropriate snack about 30 minutes before actually starting a cardio session?

2) Same question as 1) but for strength training. What to eat in what ratios of carbrotein, for a very early morning lift.

3) Being a very big fella, I need to shed the fat, but I'm not really in a huge hurry. I've found the research I've done on body recomposition to be more geared towards serious bodybuilders. However, as I said above, I can not afford to loose strength, so I'd like to shed the weight all the while at the very least, maintaining the muscle I've already got (and I'm not a little girly man by any means). What is some advice to achieve this?

4) I bought some of this https://royalsportltd.com/ultra-clean-100 What are your guys' thoughts? The fella at GNC was telling me that you can metabolize more of this protein than the cheaper stuff, so even though it's more expensive, you're actually getting more out of each scoop. I am on a budget, so if anyone knows of any other fairly clean whey that's any better in price, please please let me know. Also, is it appropriate to take a protein shake after strength AND cardio? Or do I want more carbs than protein after cardio?

5) Diet, diet, diet. Okay, I get it, and I've already started monitoring calories with an app, Fitness Pal. So, I came across this: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics ... in-muscle/
I got really frustrated that recommended fat for the day was borderline unhealthy, and damn near impossible with eating actual, real food.. men also need fat in their diet for testosterone production, and it seems like an uphill battle to try to cut fat, thus cut testosterone, thus making a guy lethargic.

6) A good beginner's weight training and cardio plan.

I know that's a lot, but I really need the help, and I still have a hell of a lot more questions to ask. Thank you very much in advance, I look forward to connecting with all you ladies and gents
static_jacket
STARTING OUT

Macronutrients, resources or advice for a beginnner, I need some help here

Post by static_jacket »

Hello,

I need your help with diet here. I got frustrated with this macro calculation: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics ... in-muscle/ No matter how I slice it, it seems impossible to meet these expectations on whole foods. Sure, you can probably do this with astronaut food or a food source of pureed, processed nastiness and meal replacement shakes.. So, from his calculation...I would have to be 30% carbs 65% protein and 5% fat...That seems nigh impossible from eating whole foods, I'll give you an example of what I ate today a little later here.

specs and goals:

25 year old .

236 pounds 6' tall

weight is mostly from fat, some muscle. goal is to loose flab, while either gaining or at the very least maintaining muscle mass and strength (I need to be strong for job, I do a lot of lifting heavy equipment, I do work in heating and air conditioning).

What I ate today, this is cardio/rest day:

Breakfast:

2 turkey sausage patties 120 calories
2 fried eggs 185 calories
1/2 avocado
power grains waffles 10g protein 210 calories
1/2 cup strawberries 24 calories
1 cup grapefruit juice 96 calories
Pure maple syrup 100 calories

breakfast total - 860

Lunch

Turkey salad with sesame dressing - 329
Yogart w/ berries, chia seed, wheat germ - 211
Dried apricots - 280
Almonds - 170
Raisins - 123

lunch total - 1113

Dinner

Protein smoothie- 637

Total goal for cardio days is 2300, minus roughly 300 calorie burn doing a short cardio sesison, i ended up 170 over... And i still only got 180 grams of protein, trying to do a macro ratio of 30% carb 50% protein and 20% fat. Trying to get all that protein, is I think part of a reason I went over on overall calories, still got way more fat than I wanted. Then again, i just adjusted from that calculator that I linked to at the beginning of post, so I am totally just guessing...but I found it hard to get a straightforward ratio from online. Anyways...what do you guys recommend with given situation and goals. If I am close on how much protein I have, how do I get it without getting so much fat and going over on calories... I'm so lost between learning how to lift, how to eat right, how to time eating right with work out.. Ugh
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: 'Ello all!

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Static, good to talk to you.

That protein powder is nothing special. It's not loaded with ingredients and proprietary blends, but it does have salt in it and it doesn't list the amino acid profile.

Many protein powders even the budget cost ones are decent enough as they have jacked up levels of glutamine and BCAA's making them pretty well absorbed, but you could stack them with free form glutamine and you can get ones with good carbs in like maltodextrin and waxy maize starch anyway.

Then it's a case of getting one with 5-6 ingredients and decide if you want a bog standard concentrate or go for isolate or hydrolysate.

If taste is a slight issue, then try experimenting with things like vanilla essence, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, cinnamon, honey and mocha powder.

In respect of the macronutrients, I would suggest working off one of these 3 ratios.

Protein / carbs / fats

33% / 33% / 33%

35% / 30% / 35%

40% / 30% / 30%

As for the diet I'd change your eating to 6 smaller meals not 3 big ones as I think this will benefit you better.

Breakfast:

2 turkey sausage patties 120 calories
2 fried eggs 185 calories
1/2 avocado
power grains waffles 10g protein 210 calories
1/2 cup strawberries 24 calories
1 cup grapefruit juice 96 calories
Pure maple syrup 100 calories

(I'd scramble your eggs not fry them.

I would ditch the waffles and syrup and keep the strawberries and juice, then add the half an avocado back in between breakfast and lunch and then add a protein source in. Ham, turkey, chicken, pork or ham from a packet are good options as is a pre-cooked chicken breast.)

Lunch

Turkey salad with sesame dressing - 329
Dried apricots - 280

(Reduced and some of the meal reallocated to later in the day)

(Mid Afternoon snack)
Yogart w/ berries, chia seed, wheat germ - 211
Almonds - 170
Raisins - 123

Dinner

(Some kind of flesh or fish based meal with a vegetable mushroom or legume source or certain types of fruits like tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergine, (egg plant), marrow or peppers.)

Protein smoothie- 637

(I'd halve the quantity of this)

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

In relation to what to use, go for the second smallest barbell on the squats and deadlifts and the smallest on bent over rows.

Use the second smallest dumbbells on bench press and lunges and the smallest ones on shrugs.

Then every 2 weeks increase the weight a little bit and then after around 6 weeks, you'll be ready to lift close to max lifting for reps, bearing in mind you don't need to do failure training, as it's not necessary and wastes more energy.

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.
static_jacket
STARTING OUT

Post by static_jacket »

First, thanks a lot for replying, this is very good information. I have a few questions:

This statement: "In relation to what to use, go for the second smallest barbell on the squats and deadlifts and the smallest on bent over rows." Could you expand on it, I'm not sure I know what you mean by "second smallest barbell", as well as second smallest dumbell. I tried doing squats for the first time in a long time today and ended up not being able to lift the bar after about 4 reps, there was only 50 lb on the bar.

I'm also confused by this, please expand: "Then every 2 weeks increase the weight a little bit and then after around 6 weeks, you'll be ready to lift close to max lifting for reps, bearing in mind you don't need to do failure training, as it's not necessary and wastes more energy." Also, how much weight should I add? Just add what feels right? max I can lift while still finishing the reps?

Thanks again, and in advance for explaining things further
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No worries.

The second smallest barbell should be the one that is not the lightest, but the next one up from that in weight.

As for the other statement, you increase the weight use every 2 weeks, then after 6 weeks you should be lifting about as much as you can tolerate for the required number of reps.

However going to failure E:G lifting something until you literally struggle and run out energy is not necessary, so if you are someone capable of just squeezing out 10 reps for example, you would do 9, because the extra one would just use up additional energy and not be necessary to help you progress.

When you were capable of hitting your 9th rep or your 10th rep or whatever it was, in a way where you were doing it with about as much ease as the first one, you'd be ready to go a bit heavier.

Then you just end up as someone who will feel more wasted after workouts. I've pretty much stopped going to failure on everything a few years back and noticed a difference.
static_jacket
STARTING OUT

Post by static_jacket »

Alright, so I've finally given myself some time to get back to you. I've been following the weight training/cardio/rest days respectively as you've suggested and it's working out great.

However, I've been loosely following the first week of this routine (full body split), for about three weeks: http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workout ... ng-guide-0

I've been doing different variations, and following two sets of 10 then 12 using the advice you gave as far as what weights. I've also been using a squat machine instead of leg presses and using different core exercises than just sit-ups. The reason I haven't moved to doing free weight squats, or bench presses, is because I don't have a workout buddy to spot me. I go to an Anytime Fitness, so it's a pretty small club that gets a little cluttered and I'm really not the most engaging person. Also people just don't seem like they want to be bothered when they're pumping iron.

So I guess I'm kind of trying to pick your brain on how to vary workout so I don't hit a plateau, and do it efficiently.

I just posted about some nutrition issues I've been questioning myself about, mind adding some of your input? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15877
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd bin that weights workout, it looks like crud.

I don't understand the 3 sets thing with 1 rep on the last set. You might as well do 11 reps on set 2, unless you're supposed to a 1RM and I wouldn't advise a 1RM after 2 sets of 18 reps in total.

You'd be better doing a 2RM on an exercise when freshest, if that's what the 1 rep on set 3 implies, an then tag extra sets on after.

Also it's got a bicep exercise, a tricep exercise and 2 pressing movements on the upper body that will indirectly target triceps, so it looks like you're getting too much tricep work and also hamstring curls with leg press, which means potentially too much hamstring work.

Also 6 sets on your chest in week 2 and biceps and triceps as well, no way.

Mosty people doing a TBT system as outlined in week 1, would not switch to a upper body / lower body split for at lest 4-6 weeks, and expecting your muscle groups to tolerate 6 sets in week 2, then on week 3 you're lifting weights 6 days out of 7???

This is supposed to be a beginners lifting routine, you would never tell someone in week 3 to lift 6 our of 7 days and do 6 sets on a muscle group in week 2, there's just no way in mind you could improve in week 1 lifting beginners weight levels, do a weird 3 set system involving a 1 rep set as the final set, then be able to jack up your sets in week 2, not least as the system in week 2 is a 4 day split, so that's effectively on the upper body split, 12 sets on chest in a week, when you've been lifting for 1 week.

You're even being told how much to lift.

Frankly M & F have had a rep in the past for promoting crappy workouts, so when you don't get very far, you'll feel the urge to buy supplements from the mags as they have loads of ads for them in the mags.

I would never recommend someone to do 12 sets of lifting on their chest in a week, after just 1 week of lifting, that's absurd and that 8,10,1 thing in week one is not even explained as being 1 rep with a light weight or a 1RM and nobody should be going for 1RM's in their first week of lifting, so that 1 reps set thing implies a !RM, not 1 light rep, that's ridiculous.

Frankly ditch the workout system it looks appalling to me, not least as people adjusting to weights to be honest, would be better off doing the same thing like a TBT for example, with 2 sets per muscle groups 3 x a week for 4-6 weeks, then switch to something else if you wanted like a 4 or 5 days split system, when your body gets used to weights and after initially using low weight for around 8-10 reps, you could handle by then around 90%-95% of max lift for 8-10 reps, but expecting people in week 2 to do 12 sets on a muscle group per week, then do a 6 day split in week 3, leaves me astounded.
static_jacket
STARTING OUT

Post by static_jacket »

Bossman: I think you might have been misreading that week 1 routine, it's 12 reps for the last set. However, I get what you mean, and I'm going to focus on a total body training routine and ditch that one I was following.

I came across a list of muscle group exercises: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/iovate5.htm

So you're recommending that I do two sets of each of these muscle groups, each time I go to the gym, which is three days a week?

For example, I'm about to go to the gym today and will do 2 sets with 10 reps for each of these exercises:

-Seated Cable Rows

-Standing Barbell Curl

-Dumbell Press

-Pushdowns

-Behind Neck Press

-Standing Calf Raises

-Squats

-Rope Crunches.

Ideally, I would like to stick to exercises that I don't need a spotter for, as I've mentioned in posts above. I take it I should still vary which exercises for each muscle group I do.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It looked like a number one, so either the website layout was not done right, or it wasn't configure for certain browsers properly as it came up as a one.

However giving beginners who have never lifted before workouts with 3 sets per exercise on a TBT systems is still too much and as I said Joe Weider got such feedback years ago off trainers he knew and ironically M&F from memory is a Weider publication, so they should have known better than to print stuff going against their founders trial proven results, assuming I've remembered the magazines origins correctly.

I'm sure you'll be fine wit the new system you're trying, so GOOD LUCK