fat or loose skin?

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

BellyFatConumdrum
STARTING OUT

fat or loose skin?

Post by BellyFatConumdrum »

I had serious health problems which left me bedridden for two years, during which time I put on an additional 70 pounds.

But I recovered, and through a program of intense exercise and strict dieting over a period of 9 months, I took that 70 pounds back off.

But although I’m now at ideal weight (according to WebMD and the Mayo Clinic’s website), I still have some fat that seems extremely resistant to coming off.

Or so I thought. Squeezing this “fat” in the palm of hand, it’s only about 3/4 of an inch thick, and seems to be getting less thick with continued training.

Here’s what I think it really is: a bit of fat, but mostly just a lot of very loose skin, I guess because that skin was stretched so far when I got so overweight.

So here are questions: will it eventually shrink back so that it’s no longer loose? And if so, how long would that take?

Or is there any other way to get rid of it, short of surgery? I’m sure health care insurance won’t pay for any elective surgery. Or maybe a doctor could order it as non-elective surgery, on the grounds that it’s dangerous to health?

Aside from the fact I don’t like it, I’m actually under considerable pressure to remove it. So ‘just getting used to it’ isn’t an option.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: fat or loose skin?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi BFC, good to talk to you.

You say it appears to getting smaller so I would carry on as you are for now and see how thart goes, but it is possible depening on how you ended up physically, that you might have caused a bit too much damage to the elastin in your skin, which means you would end up with loose skin that could require surgery eventually.

However i would persist with what appears to working right now and see how that goes for the next 8-12 weeks.
BellyFatConumdrum
STARTING OUT

Post by BellyFatConumdrum »

Hi, Boss Man, thanks for responding. That certainly sounds like reasonable advice, I guess I could give it 8 to 12 weeks of hard training, but I really hope it doesn't take any longer, because that's time that I don't feel I have to play with. I didn't realize that it was possible to so damage the elastin in your skin by getting fat. In case it DOES require surgery, I'll have to look into whether a doctor could prescribe it as non-elective surgery, and how much it would cost if I DO have to pay for it myself.
Gyles4
STARTING OUT

Post by Gyles4 »

I also have the same issue. I have been searching for a legitimate method to recover fat. Though I regularly eat lots of cucumbers. But I don't think its enough though. What do you suggest?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It depends on what else you're doing.
Gyles4
STARTING OUT

Post by Gyles4 »

As I said already I didn't do much. But everyday I wake and walk about an hour. Besides, I eat lots of cucumbers as well.
BitGid
STARTING OUT

Post by BitGid »

Don't worry about the loose skin. I was at the same point a year ago.
What helped for me was a long cutting period (about 3 months) with consistent training and doing a lot of planks, ab roller exercises and leg raises.
Always do abdominal exercises with added weight if possible. Train them the same way as you train other muscles. And don't do too much cardio, it wont help you that much, just consentrate on your diet.
Regards, onplanners