Pro-anorexia Websites.

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Nubianspirit2
STARTING OUT

Re: Pro-anorexia Websites.

Post by Nubianspirit2 »

It surprising how very easy it is to develop an E D and you don't have to be a child to do have one, you just have to be desperate and have some self loathing. I started reading these sites and i do agree that it does have a way of sucking you in. You read how by eating too much and purging or not eating enough and still purging, you lose alot of weight and that is all you see. You begin not to see the suffering the family are going through or even how the body is being abused. All you see is that if you continue the pounds would drop. It got to a point that i was depressed and really desperate to lose weight. Unlike the others, it wasn't a slim person looking in the mirror with a big person reflected back, it was a big woman looking in the mirror and a big woman reflected back. It starts very easily and its scary, looking back how easy it becomes to just throw up what you have just eaten. I would look at so many sites, read the stories of young girls and young men and would reassure myself that i was too big for anything devastating to happen to me.

Luckily i realised down the line that it wasn't the best way and to start trying to lose weight the right way. I thought it was strange for a woman in her 40's to be doing this, but i was shocked to discover that many women now in that age bracket are developing E D.

It is good of you to bring up this topic, Boss Man

Nubianspirit
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Unfortunately many things that can afflict the human body are no respector of age, whether they be mental, physical or emotional.

Certain things will have common triggers and something being more associated with either the old or young, doesn't prevent some people from the opposite end of the age scale, falling victim to the affliction and it's ways to debilitate or influence physical, emotional and mental behaviour patterns.

In the instance you described, people developing self harming traits to combat a weight problem, I.E. provoked throwing up of food, will be things that will not be limited purely to under 21's, because psychologically speaking that would make no sense, because it is not some kind of physical issue relating to elevated teenage hormones, so therefore for someone to suddenly undergo a mindset change and be unable to have certain thoughts anymore, just like that, almost certainly wouldn't be possible, unless the Brain had suffered some kind of damage through disease or trauma, that could affect someones ability to think or process certain ideas.

I'm glad you managed to release yourself from the self destructive behaviour, you felt you were embarking on, before you entered into a very serious state of physical destruction.

It's good to have your opinion(s) and insight.

Thank you and good luck in your continued efforts to change and maintain change :).

You should be very proud of caring enough about yourself, to find your own kind of emotional salvation and to keep believing in yourself and your own current and potential self worth :).
Nubianspirit2
STARTING OUT

Post by Nubianspirit2 »

Thank you for your kind words of wisdom.
theresmynapkin
STARTING OUT

Re:

Post by theresmynapkin »

ilurvebroccoli wrote:I was addicted to these sites as well for a couple years. They are very dangerous. I didn't have an eating disorder, but for some reason got very intrigued by them. They sucked me in, and it took me a long time to get out of their grasp. I'm very glad you posted this. I hope it helps people.
I agree. As a teenage girl in today's society, these sites offered me a place where I felt like people understood the "real meaning of stress/being overwhelmed/etc". I never developed an eating disorder either, but these sights have thoroughly corrupted the way I look at body and the way I look at food. I eat normally, but I still cannot eat anything, even something like a banana or grape without feeling ashamed and guilty. The moderators of the pro ana sites, not the pro recovery sites, really don't know the damage they do to the psyche of children and adolescents. And the children/adolescents don't know what hell they are creating for themselves until most of the time it is too late. It is such a shame.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Sadly I think they do know the damage they cause on those sites and encourage it. They are clever enough to build and search engine index pro anorexia sites, or if they don't build them, and administer the forums, they are still seen as clever enough to moderate forums.

They must know what they are encouraging and therefore I suspect frankly they don't care. They are just out to intentionally abuse and harm young people people looking for salvation from weight loss.

Anyone reponsible for creating those sites and running them, deserves to be locked up for crimes against humanity. It's systematic, inhumane brainwashing style abuse of people and to them if someone dies of anorexia, there's plenty more where they came from, which is a similar mentality to Tobacco companies, except they don't come across as the answer to a problem.

I'm glad you have managed to avoid them now. You seem like a really, really lovely person and I wish you tonnes of GOOD LUCK trying to move forwards in your life and this community will try to support you how and when we can :).

You know, you don't ever have to be ashamed of having a bit of fruit or one extra mouthful of something :). I can tell by your words you have the power to be a beautiful person on the inside and also because your face is a real window to the person inside of you. You look beautiful, but I also think you are what you are, because you seek to use your words to inform and educate people about the wrongs of such sites, so you should be proud of yourself for who you are and having the courage to walk away from such dreadful websites.

You have clearly found a proper way to love yourself and be good to yourself and you should never have to justify your personality to anyone, because the smart people won't question those they can see are decent, honest and genuine and recognise them for who they are and what value they can bring to the world.

I'm sure you have all the ability to be such a smart person and also a decent, honest, genuine, valuable person too, because all those things are interlinked and represent the meaning of being human.

So I say, please don't feel guilty or ashamed for anything, because nothing you've done is your fault and all you have obviously tried to do, is create a better life than the one you must have had. The pride comes from trying, but even more so from beginning to realise and distinguish between, the good and bad ways and improving your chances of a great future.

I don't really know you, but I'm genuinely proud of you for having the courage to say no to those sites and for realising what value you possess and what you could make it become :) .

If you have a great future ahead it will come as a result of your inteligent choice to kick those sites from your life.

So GOOD LUCK to you and if there is one thing I could say to you know, it is that right now you will never matter more than you do today. You have the ability to improve on what I see as superb human value and emotional gifts and to turn yourself into someone pretty amazing.

You choose to be a beautiful person towards others that much I can tell and because of that you deserve to have a beautiful life and a future that allows you to continue to grow, blossom and mature as a Lady and a human being :).

P.S. GOOD LUCK with your relationship too. I think he's probably a very rich man right now because of you. I'm sure if he's smart enough he'll not forget it :).

Thank you for comments. I hope with your added input, more people can learn about the dangers of what I wanted to bring to light :).
AEB4_.
STARTING OUT

Post by AEB4_. »

I have had an eating disorder for the past 15 years and have worked to start overcoming it this past year. I am currently trying to figure out how to get out of starvation mode, adopt a healthy lifestyle and learn to like body. It has been the most difficult thing I have ever faced and would never wish it on worst enemy. I used to look at these websites for "thinspiration" and tips but have since stopped because I could see that it was triggering me and making me more obsessed with the eating disorder. These sites are so deceiving because they glorify eating disorders and make them seem like the perfect answer for weight loss. I would think its safe to say that although most of the authors of those sites seem confident and happy, they are most likely depressed, scared and feeling trapped. Even at lowest weight I didn't ever feel thin enough or successful. Now that I have regained most of the weight lost, and struggled with the emotions that come with that, I look back at those 15 years and see all the time and energy lost and wish I had never gone on that first diet.

I'm glad you wrote about this topic because it is so easy to become obsessed in diet and weigh loss and stumbling on one of these sites without knowing what they are and how dangerous they are can lead others down that road. Eating disorders destroy lives and take away precious years. Your article was well written and not offensive at all.

If anyone has a good diet plan or information on working through increasing calories and decreasing activity (until proper amount of calories is consumed for healthy weight) I would love any advice or info.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Adrienne, thank you for your beautiful honesty and if we can do anything to help, please do post in the relevant section and we will be all to willing to assist :).

You ARE definitely worth it and I am proud of you for making such positive changes to your life and hopefully you can succeed and make what you want to make happen, happen.
JanetH1212
STARTING OUT

Post by JanetH1212 »

Well, this has been informative. I didn't realize there were sites like that on the internet to support anorexia. It's good that you are getting the word out, anorexia is a dangerous habit.
Stay_Fit
STARTING OUT

Post by Stay_Fit »

I watched an episode in National Geographic about anorexia and learned that there are websites which support anorexia. first reaction was, why would someone even do that to themselves? It's going to kill you. However, I was once depressed and I was lost too. I think people who have eating disorder have the same feeling. It's not only an eating disorder but also a psychological disorder because why would you even do that to yourself. I know how it feels when you're lost and you don't feel that there is hope for you. Anorexics need the support of their friends and families and understanding from us. It's best to get help from professionals because the chances of them recovering is faster
Garenius
STARTING OUT

Post by Garenius »

I cannot believe that there are actually websites promoting an eating disorder. This is horrifying.

Thanks for the information provided, I really appreciate it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bodysharp.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - fitness boot camp, boot camp melbourne, gym hawthorn, melbourne gyms, personal trainers melbourne
fitncer
STARTING OUT

Post by fitncer »

Very interesting read boss man. Good questions. Thank you. As a father of 3 children I sincerely appreciate this.
chempe
STARTING OUT

Post by chempe »

I had no idea there were sites out there like that. That is ridiculous. I'm completely shocked right now.
Gingernut65
STARTING OUT

Post by Gingernut65 »

I had an eating disorder and was actually on one of those sites. It was apparently about the recovery of eating disordered people but it was full of tips and "thinspo"... although I preferred "bonespo". I do not recommend you look that up.. :cry:

I now just want to be healthy and muscular hahaaha! :clap: :thumb:
XxJassyxX
STARTING OUT

Post by XxJassyxX »

As some others here, I also had no idea such websites existed. I will definitely keep eyes open if any of children or people I know visits these websites. I think it is really important to talk about these topics and be aware, that these websites exist! Thank you for this thread!