brazilian blowout - formeldahyde

Discuss skin, hair and nails here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculargirl
VETERAN

brazilian blowout - formeldahyde

Post by musculargirl »

I hate hair. Its curly, frizzy you name it. I've had some chemical straighteners in the past but i really wasn't happy with them. I'm thinking of getting the brazilian blowout. It makes your hair shinier, less frizzy straight and i hear great things. But their is some contraversy it seems over if their is formeldahyde in the product. they say it doesn't have it. But reading online some things about it it and it seems there may be a deritivate of formeladhyde in it still. I guess hair stuff isin't really regulated by the fda and formeldahyde is a known carniogen although some posts on line say it really is in a lot of products anyways. So i'm a little confused about what to do. Any helpful suggestions?
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: brazilian blowout - formeldahyde

Post by fitoverforty »

Well, first thought was to reply to just learn to work with what you have, embrace the curls and go with a cut that is flattering for your type of hair...but who am I to say that? I have hair colored every 6 weeks like clockwork to disguise ever progressing white hair, and I haven't been able to "embrace" new "aging" natural color. Although, I have learned to accept hair being more coarse and frizzy - it really has a mind of its own! I just keep it cut shorter now than i used to, with layers in the back that taper longer towards the front.
I would research the salon doing the treatment, ask questions about the chemicals, make sure the hairdresser is experienced in those treatments, maybe even certified. But, again, if it has formaldehyde in it, decide if it is really something you want to take a chance on. Be careful! :D
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Thanks, Lynne and Allison. I've been told by family all life to embrace hair and i've always thought it was so easy for them to say that since all sisters and mom have straight nonfrizzy hair. :) Lynne hair is coarse, thick, curly and frizzy so i know where your coming from. I don't envy you on the coloring the grey, so far i haven't had any greys but i'm sure it won't be long before that changes, luck it will be sooner rather than later. :)

I won't do it for sure if it has formelahyde in it. But supposedly it doesn't. Whether it has a derivative of formeldahyde that is just as bad I don't know. the company says it doesn't have any harsh chemicals or dangerous chemicals. But some people on the internet disagree. I trust the lady that is doing hair i've gone to her before. I'm going to call her on Monday.. I guess i will just keep doing some research. and talk to her and see what she says. I really would like to get it.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

I read about this product on the website for a salon I visited during the Summer. At this place they offer Japanese Straightening and the Brazilian Blowout treatments. These were the two questions on the FAQ page that I thought you might find useful:

From: http://www.hairstraighteningwinnipeg.co ... 4f731cf59e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Q. What is the active chemical in the Brazilian Blowout solution that makes it work so well?
A. The Brazilian Blowout smooths the hair through the use of a proprietary polymer system that bonds amino acids to the surface of the hair. This treatment is 100% salon safe. What makes the Brazilian Blowout treatment effective is our use of the Super Nutrient Complex in conjunction with a proprietary polymer system. This combination is what rounds the follicle, smooths the cuticle and repairs any preexisting damage.

Q. How is the Brazilian Blowout different from the Japanese straightening method many people are familiar with?
A. Japanese hair straightening changes the actual structure of the hair. In doing so, there is an obvious difference between the new hair growth and the hair that has been treated, resulting in a life-long commitment to continuing the straightener or cutting hair off (if client is unhappy with the result). This service can also leave the hair flat, too straight and with little to no shine or luster. The hair's integrity seems to be compromised, and after a few treatments, the hair appears to be in an unhealthy state

It seems like if you want to try something, the Brazilian Blowout is the thing to do. As for the formeldahyde concern - I have read conflicting things about that. I guess you should talk to someone.... ideally someone from the salon and a medical professional. If you can get your hands on an ingredients list and take it to a doctor, I would. The blowout seems to be dependent on maintaining use of some pricey products too, which is something to take into consideration. I have half wavy, half straight, super frizzy hair, so I feel your pain on this one. If you decide to get it I definitely want to hear about it.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

If hair was calm and not frizzy i wouldn't do anything to hair either allison. I'm not looking for the perfect hair just manageable hair. Although when i start getting grey i will definitely color too. one sister has really long thick pretty hair. She's always told me not to do anything to hair and like it the way it is. It will be interesting to see if she colors hers once it starts graying!! Some how i have the feeling she will!! :)

Thanks athene I will tell you how it goes if i get it done. I can't wait to call stylist tomorrow. I'm sure she's certified in it, its a very nice salon but i will double check. I do trust stylist. I don't think most stylists would want to perform the process if it were dangerous but obviously some do. I read that they even tell the stylists they don't need to wear gloves when putting it on so I don't know its very confusing. :? :?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Get your hair cut short, then slick it back with Gel.

Problem solved maybe :wink:

That sort of thing works for females, but when guys do it, they look totally ridiculous every time. That's why the only things that I would put in Hair are shampoo, a comb and fingers.

Stuff like snow and rain I've not got much choice over :P

Definitely don't go for a skinhead or a Mr T though, you'd look terrible.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Thanks for the "helpful" suggestions bossman. :lol: If hair falls out like some people say it could i might have to go the MR T hairstyle route that or wigs may be new best freind. :)
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

I went ahead and did it! Its not cheap. Its 300 but i don't color hair and I will make this last a lot longer than they say too. I always go longer than they say. I'm hoping a long time!! No hair falling out, no Mr T hairstyle and no slick back jelled hair as someone who will remain nameless so kindly suggested!! :) I also have to buy the shampoo and conditioner and deep conditioning which is another $90. yes expensive. It looks really flat right now athene cuz you wanted to hear about it. I'm sure it will look better in a week or so. Kind of like a perm doesn't look great in the beginning.

I talked to stylist and she didn't seem to concerned about if there is any danger. She said they are really popular. So i guess i'm going along with the crowd. :)

Just so you know it was a little more money than i thought it was. When i went in there i thought it was 250 but that is just starting out and hair is a little long and thick so it cost more. I can't afford to do it very often.

Update: mostly this is for athena cuz you asked. I washed hair i waited a day to wash it they say you don't have too but i did. I let it airdry and it came out straight and non frizzy! Probably a little too straight but it works for me and i know it will grow out slowly. So I like it. :)
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

musculargirl wrote:I went ahead and did it! Its not cheap. Its 300 but i don't color hair and I will make this last a lot longer than they say too. I always go longer than they say. I'm hoping a long time!! No hair falling out, no Mr T hairstyle and no slick back jelled hair as someone who will remain nameless so kindly suggested!! :) I also have to buy the shampoo and conditioner and deep conditioning which is another $90. yes expensive. It looks really flat right now athene cuz you wanted to hear about it. I'm sure it will look better in a week or so. Kind of like a perm doesn't look great in the beginning.

I talked to stylist and she didn't seem to concerned about if there is any danger. She said they are really popular. So i guess i'm going along with the crowd. :)

Just so you know it was a little more money than i thought it was. When i went in there i thought it was 250 but that is just starting out and hair is a little long and thick so it cost more. I can't afford to do it very often.

Update: mostly this is for athena cuz you asked. I washed hair i waited a day to wash it they say you don't have too but i did. I let it airdry and it came out straight and non frizzy! Probably a little too straight but it works for me and i know it will grow out slowly. So I like it. :)
This is really interesting - congrats! I'm glad you like it so far, and that it didn't fall out, obviously. What was the treatment like? Did it smell bad, sting, or burn?
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Athene wrote:Did it smell bad, sting, or burn?
I can't remember if it smelled bad but it didn't sting or burn. eyes were watering for a little bit. They say no harsh chemicals but there is some kind of chemical in it because like i said eyes waterred for a little bit. It took about 2 hours. I can't remember the exact process of how they did it but they bascially shampoo your hair and then straighten it with a flat iron and then add some chemical and wash your hair out. and then blow dry and that's it. I may be missing some steps but that's what i remember.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts. The cost was a little more money then i thought it would be and the shampoo and conditioner bottles for the amount of money i paid for them, i was provided with not a lot of shampoo and conditioner. The bottles are quite small. But hair feels really soft, no frizze but again its a little flat and a little too straight for what i like hair to be but still much better than before. If i were brave i would put before and after pictures but no can do. You will have to just imagine!!! :wink:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd be concerned, if I used anything that made eyes water and required some bit of me to be ironed :?.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

flat ironing your hair is a pretty common thing boss for people with curly or wavy hair. :) I am a little concerned about the chemical that makes your eyes water I guess i'm just trusting the company when they say they aren't using a harsh chemical. Or maybe trust is a strong word. I'm hoping the company is telling the truth. :? :?
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Thanks for the update! I'm trying to "go with it" as far as hair is concerned, but when I undoubtedly get sick of that I will definitely try the treatment.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Personally if some people were taking about burning and hair loss and having put an unlisted chemical in their hair, I'd be concerned if I was a woman.

Obviously I'm not.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Your right Boss. I'm definitely concerned. I think the hair loss comes from people that aren't properly trained in how to do it?? I"m not sure. I wish they would name the chemical though!!! I lived with normal hair without doing stuff like this for years and I really HATED hair since forever. I would always buy tons of products hoping i could find something that would help. I didn't really flat iron hair because its really thick and would take a long time to do every day so i guess this still seems like the best option for me. But i'm definitely concerned and maybe i will regret decision someday. Its a tough choice for me. :? I'm planning on doing it only once a year.