lipomas

Discuss skin, hair and nails here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

darius3000
SOCIAL CLIMBER

lipomas

Post by darius3000 »

Hi all. I inherited these from dad (grape-sized, fatty tumors just beneath the skin that in some places show as an unsightly lump) and was wondering if anyone else has them and if you've done anything about them. They're not life-threatening, I know, and are nothing more than a cosmetic nuisance, but was wondering if anyone went under the knife for them, had insur. pay for them, whatever. I estimate I have a total of 10-15 that I can find on body (upper arms, legs, and trunk at this point in life)

Your advice is appreicated!
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i have an old sdabacious syst that waas cut out, they done the shittiest job ob earth, it grew back but not with the opain i had beforee on the back of neck right on one of vertebrea...same type of thing i guess...i copuld get it cut out agaion but it doean't hurt so i can;t be bothered
darius3000
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by darius3000 »

i have an old sdabacious syst that waas cut out, they done the shittiest job ob earth, it grew back but not with the opain i had beforee on the back of neck right on one of vertebrea...same type of thing i guess...i copuld get it cut out agaion but it doean't hurt so i can;t be bothered

I don't know if a lipoma is different from a cyst. I learned that lipomas are fatty tumors. Mine are painless, but are a cosmetic nuisance and you can see a few of the lumps when I have a sleeveless tee on. I guess everyone else on here was lucky enough not to inherit them! If genetics rule, I will have a ton on me by the time I am 50.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Lipomas are just benign Cancers, with a fatty content. A cyst is not cancerous to knowledge.

Lipomas are what can be known as a Latent Agent, which means they exist without symtpoms, a bit like the Herpes Zoster, (Shingles), virus, that is a form of the Chickenpox virus.

Unless you get a slight problem with where they form, like possibly near nerves or in the Gut, which could cause mild pain or digestive abnormalities, they are fine.

So don't sweat it. They can be operated on fairly easily, with a local Anaesthetic, but only if the individual wants to.

They would almost certainly cause no problem.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Re: lipomas

Post by musculargirl »

i had a schwananoma on wrist. i had surgery and they took it out. It wasn noncancerous. You really have to massage the area so you don't get too much scar tissue. if you decide to do it. Ask you doctor or nurse how they want you to massage it if you do it.

I think that's a little different from a lipoma. the doctor said i probably got it some time if when i fell down on it in the past.

insurance did pay for it. But i don't know what the reasoning was behind that.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You can get ones in the Arm and Wrist area called Neuromas, which eminate from Nerves, and they can move up or down the Arm. In most cases like any of these benign lumps, if it is likely to cause more issues than enough removing it, it is just better left there.

Same with large Keloid Scars. Sometimes removal of the offending thing, can lead to problems with healthy tissue regrowth and also potentially with not enough excess skin, to knit back together the two ends.

Though in the case of Keloids, they can be cut or lasered away, not too problematically if they're dealt with soon enough.
Sammel85
STARTING OUT

Post by Sammel85 »

It's always worth getting them checked out.

I have a lump in wrist which during everyday movements can cause pain.
Also, as I do contact karate, if it gets knocked (which is highly likely), I'm usually biting lip to try and forget the pain that is radiating all the way up arm.
So I inquired about getting it removed and I was also told that it was a fatty lump.

Had an ultrasound (as a precautionary so they didn't cut it out and find out it's something else) and after having a second ultrasound technician, then the radiologist come in to see the pictures, they still couldn't give me a clear answer.

Well they discovered that it was a neuroma and although not threatening or anything, because it's causing me pain (and it's big and sitting around ulna nerve), it'd be best to remove it.

Currently I'm debating over choices... pain or the possibility of nerve damage in hand and most likely ruining personal training career aspirations if it happens. It's lucky that it's left hand, but it could ruin so many job opportunities.

So the point I'm getting to, if you want it removed, there is no harm in asking about it. Just make sure that you get it checked out before they do anything first.
If it is just a fatty lump, then no harm should come from it, just some stitches and a scar.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Neuromas are just lumps derived from Nerves. They can slide up and down the Arm when you push them, but they shouldn't be a major issue to most people and many Doctors would probably advocate that one stays, if there is no real emotional or psychological issues attached to the individual from keeping it, as most if not all remain benign and therefore shouldn't become cancerous.

In the case of Lipomas, seeking medical advice can be an option, but really, they almost never, ever become aggressive, they remain probably 99.9999% of the time, benign.

If the lump in the Wrist had been fluid filled, chances are it would have been a Ganglion, which can be treated by whacking it with a book. The force subsides the swelling, causing the problem to over time go away.

Again, medical advice could be sought before attempting such methods, incase the lump wasn't what you might think. If it was a Ganglion, chances are the Doctor could whack it for you themselves,