is shaving often good for men?

Discuss skin, hair and nails here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

grx
STARTING OUT

is shaving often good for men?

Post by grx »

Hello:

I read in Men's Health that shaving frequently (2-3 times a week) is good for men 's skin, since shaving stimulates the production of some substance that makes skin look younger.

father and uncle do shave very often and their skin shows their age. In case, I just shave about each week, because skin gets irritated and also have acne problems, so shaving makes worse the problem, despite the fact beard grows up quickly. So a friend told me I could have one session of laser depilation in order to slow beard growth.

But if shaving more often helps to look younger, I could visit instead the dermatologist and have a solution for skin acne...

What do you think?

Thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: is shaving often good for men?

Post by Boss Man »

There might be something in what you're saying. If you're bothered by the process just use an electric shaver, if you're using a blade.

I can't understand why people blade shave anyway, it's possibly more expensive, depending on the price of a cheap shaver, in relation to disposable blades. and it increases likelihood of cuts and possible infection.
grx
STARTING OUT

Post by grx »

Boss Man wrote:There might be something in what you're saying. If you're bothered by the process just use an electric shaver, if you're using a blade.

I can't understand why people blade shave anyway, it's possibly more expensive, depending on the price of a cheap shaver, in relation to disposable blades. and it increases likelihood of cuts and possible infection.

Actually I used to shave with an electric shaver, but I realized that blades remove better bear. But anyway, they don't say what to use, just that shaving 2-3 times/week stimulates collagen production, and that is good for skin... what do you think?

Thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Couldn't give you an honest answer, other than it might help remove some dead skin cells.

Collagen production is governed to some exent by Vitamin C anyways, so you could just supplement with Vit C instead and keep shaving.

500mg 1-2 times a day, maybe 1g 1-2 times a day. If you had any slight issues, use buffered and see if that helped. Morning for once a day, and night if a second dose was required. Vit C is also a good Iron Booster, and supposely I read once, helpful in chelating heavy metals out of the body.

Copper also plays it's part in the way Collagen is used, mainly in relation to Bones, possibly in relation to Skin and Teeth too but I don't think so, so things ike Nuts, Legumes, Shellfish, probably in small amounts Veggies and Whole-grains too.

Copper need only be 2-3mg's daily.
mjjdm1985
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by mjjdm1985 »

I actually "shave" using a hair trimmer. I bought it from Target and it came with all the different extension sizes to give myself a cheap haircut. If I use the blade without an extension, though, it makes the perfect tool to get rid of facial hair. There are NONE of the problems associated with either electric bldes or old-fashioned razors. No cuts, no pulling which happens sometimes with the electric razors... Plus, I can shave in 1 minute or less with NO skin irritation which has helped acne, because facial hair can trap dirt and cause acne, but regular shaving can irritate the skin and cause acne.

The only issue with this, which is not an issue for me at all but may be for someone else, is it does not shave all the way to the surface of the skin. It leaves stubble on your face, VERY short and which I actually like having more than being completely clean-shaven, but may be unwanted by someone else.
racer501
STARTING OUT

Post by racer501 »

I have personaly notice a DRASTIC difference between electric shaving and using a blad the blade is significantly closer and smoother which for me I prefer since facial hair in spots grows in blonde in spots till its longer ie. 1/4"-1/2" so looks really odd having dark and "invisible" hair mixed together. I think its a personal preference on what you use/how frequently for the shaving of the beard.

With the acne issues I used to have personally I noticed bannanas, pickin, and believe it or not CLEANING were primary issues I would allways pick at them when bored in class. Just intesifying what was allready there. Idk what it is about bannanas that made me break out but if I have more then one a week I'm guranteed to start breaking out. Along with cleaning if I start to do a face wash it seems I will break out the next day or day after that. When I stopped picking, washing face (besides with hot water under the shower no cleaning agents), and not eating bannanas within three weeks I had clear skin.
dusk
STARTING OUT

Post by dusk »

grx wrote:Hello:

I read in Men's Health that shaving frequently (2-3 times a week) is good for men 's skin, since shaving stimulates the production of some substance that makes skin look younger.

father and uncle do shave very often and their skin shows their age. In case, I just shave about each week, because skin gets irritated and also have acne problems, so shaving makes worse the problem, despite the fact beard grows up quickly. So a friend told me I could have one session of laser depilation in order to slow beard growth.

But if shaving more often helps to look younger, I could visit instead the dermatologist and have a solution for skin acne...

What do you think?

Thanks!
Sounds like it's only one part of the puzzle.

Even though shaving can stimulate the production of "some substance" to make skin look younger, most likely, on the whole the act of shaving actually exposes skin to more irritants and sources of decay than not shaving would. But realistically you would have to take into consideration the environment you live in, the particular substances your face is exposed to, your own genetic background, the substances your body produces to maintain its balance, and the means by which your body does this.

You could always just sport some facial hair into a style that fits who you are as a person, if shaving really bothers you that much. Personally I shave about 2-3 times a week with an electric foil shaver and don't like to get too close; I like having a smooth-shaven face but body doesn't really co-operate and well, most girls don't mind that much so it's not a big deal.

If I had a more scientific answer to give you I would, but, I'm not that educated... yet. :)
Jax_Briggs
STARTING OUT

Post by Jax_Briggs »

I hate shaving because skin also gets irritated. But I also hate beard. I want to buy me a shaver, but I don't know anyone who uses it. I talked to a salesman I know and he showed me one. I just don't know how smooth the skin is after shave. So for me, shaving often is not good, but I hope that with a shaver I could shave more often.
juan92
HIGH FLYER

Post by juan92 »

not shaving = hairs= itchy face = acne/ white heads, etc.

in case shaving helps me with acne, when i have hairs it irritates me
also gf doesnt like facial hair so its like a 2 in 1 deal =)
HONDAJOSH
STARTING OUT

Post by HONDAJOSH »

Shaving often for me is in fact good for your skin as it removes dead skin cells working as a source of exfoliation. If you tend to have more sensative skin that gets irritated from shaving there are several products out there that work great, one of favorites is Blade Runner by a company called Origins.
pre_ejaculation
STARTING OUT

Post by pre_ejaculation »

I did not know it until I read this forum. If that is the case then I'd better shave 2-3 times a week for a younger and gorgeous look. :lol:
rohanjain
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by rohanjain »

Yes,shaving is good for all men's.It helps to remove the skin cells of top most layer.