nails

Discuss skin, hair and nails here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

evarunnr
STARTING OUT

nails

Post by evarunnr »

i have lost 25 pounds over the last 4 months. nails are bad... they are peeling. and i cannot get them to grow over thetip ofmy finger. as soon as they get longer they peel, split, or break.. help. what can i do. job does not allow fake nails or the such.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

you need some more healthy fats..get some fish oil and have 6g/day
mm
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: nails

Post by mm »

evarunnr wrote:i have lost 25 pounds over the last 4 months. nails are bad... they are peeling. and i cannot get them to grow over thetip ofmy finger. as soon as they get longer they peel, split, or break.. help. what can i do. job does not allow fake nails or the such.
Using nail strenghthener might help form breaking. It's clear. Sall Hansen brand.
BeachBride
STARTING OUT

Post by BeachBride »

I use Sally Hanson nail strengthener as well. I put 2 coats on, then polish, then 2 more coats of it. Then I usually will put another coat on every day or two... It helps... nails have been brittle all life.
In2work
STARTING OUT

Post by In2work »

mother uses a fairly generic moistureiser forulated for hands and nails. Her finger nails where fairly brittle at one point and it seems to have helped. She only applys it before sleep.

As for nails, the only trouble I've ever had is when I've hit them too hard or something equally silly like that. haha.
fitnesssarah
STARTING OUT

Post by fitnesssarah »

I totally agree with beachbride, you need to also use a nail hardener. I use the sally hansen one on toe nails and it works wonders!!!!
sassygirl
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by sassygirl »

i would be more apt to go with swanso's recomendation.
All nail polishes have chemicals that do get absorbed into the body....chemicals that the liver cannot process.
ChoYongGi
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by ChoYongGi »

i know this is a late reply but u could try the vaseline hand lotion, it really works and its cheap too. hope this helps
FreeWeight19
STARTING OUT

Post by FreeWeight19 »

It seems your body trying to adjust, it might caused by loosing some of nutrition caused by ur weight lose. try to take some calcium, it might help.
eviltapanga
STARTING OUT

Post by eviltapanga »

nails are doing the same thing! I thought maybe it was because I had used bonding color nail polish and it had stuck to nails and peeled them off some when it came off, but now I'm wondering if it's because of new workout routine (one month and counting!) And tendancy to forget taking vitamins...

Anyhoo, I jsut wanted to say thanks to all the suggestions everyone posted!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Brittle nails could be indicative of possible Selenosis, where you ingest too much daily Selenium, but having said that, baldness and one or two other things would be resulting too if that were so.
BikeCombo
STARTING OUT

Post by BikeCombo »

try jello, apparently it helps
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Swanso's right - and take a calcium supplement- when I first started eating clean I eliminated some foods that apparently always kept nails strong and hard. After a couple of months nails started getting weak, peeling etc.....they are good again.
SimplyBlessed
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by SimplyBlessed »

I take a hair skin and nails vitamin supplement that I bought at a health food store. It's by Life Fitness and called Hair, Skin and Nails. - Lots of good stuff in there!
loislane
STARTING OUT

Post by loislane »

if its not a diet deficient problem, then two fantastic products i would swear by are Mavala Nail scientifique or nailtique formulas, i have always had good nails but a poor diet some time ago made them split and crack sall over the place, these got them back to normal nice and tough, i have even got mum or anyone else that listens to goings on onto them :lol:
however i am not encouraging you to forgo a healthy diet but either one along with healthy eating and suppliments will compliment it no doubt, hope that helps :)