Please critique routine

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

AnaLucia90
STARTING OUT

Please critique routine

Post by AnaLucia90 »

I don't have a gym membership and I'm not confident enough yet to go running outside. I am limited to low impact exercises since i live on the second floor of apartment complex. So I've come up with a full body routine that i do four times per week. I'd like to know if this routine is sufficient to achieve weight loss and some toning (i realize I'm not going to achieve any significant muscle growth, but main object at this point in fitness routine is to achieve weight loss and tone and tighten a bit)

So here's the routine i've created for myself.

5 sets of:
_20 burpees
_20 wide stance squats with an added 40lbs of weight (two 20lbs dumbbells held at shoulders)
_20 pushups (the first and sometimes second set are regular pushups, and then i end up switching to modified with knees on floor)
_20 sit ups
_40 forward lunges with 40lbs (20 lunges for each leg)
_another 20 burpees.

and then I do this another 4 times for a total of 5 sets.

Is this routine enough to accomplish weight loss and toning? I do struggle with the last two sets, especially coming back up from the squats. I feel like im targeting all the main areas i wish to improve upon. I do work up a sweat and I can feel heart rate increase, but i worry about not getting enough cardio.

Please critique this routine, and advise me on how i should improve it.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Please critique routine

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Ana, good to talk to you.

I think the routine is mixing a bit too much plyometric stuff with regular moves.

This is the sort of thing I have posted before and this might work for you a bit better.

quats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Good mornings, 2 sets, 10 reps

Vertical flyes, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Body weight system

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Body weight system

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Body weight system

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.

You would also increase the planks by 5 seconds a week until you can do 90 seconds.