DIY gym, what equipment?

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

BirraMoretti
STARTING OUT

DIY gym, what equipment?

Post by BirraMoretti »

Hi folks.

I have a spare office which im converting into a 'gym' or a place to workout.

Im not a total noob to training but well out of the loop, as you will probably gather :D

goal is basically to lose weight and tone up. Previously ive done interval training, and core stuff and obviously weights but not for a long time. Im just too heavy, not flabby or saggy, just a lump!....lets call it fat for arguments sake 8)

thoughts are.

Treadmill and punch bag for cardio.....im sure a lot of box workouts are quite intense
Balance ball for core stuff, always found it a good tone up
Sit up bench
Pull up bar
Resistance bands

Do you think i can achieve goals with that stuff? Im not sure wether adding any weights will be needed at this stage?

Does this sound about right or am i missing something? I know this may change over timebut im trying to start with stuff that will at least allow me to start one of the 400billion programmes that are out there.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: DIY gym, what equipment?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Birra, good to speak to you.

All that equipment, when used in a beneficial manner could assist with your goals, but in the long term you would do well to consider adding free weights into the equation, but for now the kind of stuff you're looking to add / use, should be adequate enough, providing of course that your diet is decent enough to facilitate credible physical change.
BirraMoretti
STARTING OUT

Post by BirraMoretti »

Cheers

As a starting point im pretty much ready with the diet side, ive already cut calorie intake down significantly so ill look at some more solid diet plans when i start training.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Just make sure you don't under-eat though, as eating more healthy food is okay in itself, but some people hinder their chances of weight loss by actually eating below a beneficial amount of calories and in general the requirement per day is 1,800 for sedentary women and 2,000 for sedentary men and you could include another 200-400 a day when you exercise.