Working out when disabled

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Rocketpig
STARTING OUT

Working out when disabled

Post by Rocketpig »

Hi, first time posting :wave:

I'm a 33 year old female, 5'2 and 119 pounds. diet is OK although I do snack quite a bit, I was quite ill recently and went down to 95 pounds. I think I'm still in "putting on weight mode" a bit so need to stop the snacking really.

I suffer from fibromyalgia, hypermobility as well as general messed up joints and the bones in legs are misaligned. I really want to start getting fit and doing some weight training but I don't really know where to start. I know the longer I give in to physical problems and be lazy the higher the chance I'll end up a wheelchair later on. The important thing for me right now is getting fit and strengthening/stabilising joints but I don't know what exercises I need to be doing or how many reps etc. I've been trying to do modified versions of some of physio exercises for the time being but it's not really the same as a proper work out. The only thing I know for sure is that I can't use a lot of the leg based machines at the gym because of wonky legs (I was told that the machines would be forcing me to do the exercise wrong coz of the misalignment).

Any advice anyone could give me would be very much appreciated :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Working out when disabled

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Rocketpig good to speak to you.

First of all be proud of talking about your problems, because I appreciate it must be tough and I'M PROUD OF YOU for doing that and obviously it is going to be tough to try and make what you want to happen happen.

Some of the best sort of movements for the legs are lunges and squats and for the lower back there's deadlifts and then other reliable exercises, like bent over dumbbell rows for upper back and bench press for chest.

It would be advisable though to at least practice the form on such exercises without weight, to ascertain if you can achieve a full range of motion and see which of those will work for you, then explore alternatives to those that won't.

When you find exercises for those areas that will work for you, then explore them with minimal amounts of weight, so assuming you'd be okay with the ones mentioned, you'd be looking at say a light barbell weighing no more than 10kg, 22lbs for lunges, squats and deadlifts and 2-3kg, 4.4-6.6lbs dumbbells for your bench pressing and bent over rows, because your body will need 4-6 weeks to adjust, with gradual increasing of the weight used every 1-2 weeks.

However It would also be advisable to get a gym membership and use a PT even just for the first few times to gain experience and understanding, as that person may want to go down a different route with things like kettlebells, a suspension trainer, medicine balls etc, rather than a setup based on old school principles.

I'd like to ask a few questions right now if I may and you're free not to say if you find anything uncomfortable to discuss, as I won't take it personally :).

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?

What sort of modalities have you been recommended for your medical concerns, I:E: surgical interventions, physiotherapy etc, or is there not much that can be done?

I appreciate fybromyalgia is a chronic condition with no cure, but maybe the issue(s) with your bones could be improved in some way.

Whatever happens GOOD LUCK :).
Rocketpig
STARTING OUT

Post by Rocketpig »

Hi, thanks for the reply :)

To answer your questions, I'll have breakfast at around 7 which is usually something like cereal with some fruit. Lunch around 1 and I'll have a sandwich with some sort of meat or tuna and salad. Dinner around 7 can be anything really depending on how stomach is feeling. I try to make sure I get some veg in there so fish, mash and mixed veg for example.

Physical health wise I just do physio, I've tried pretty much everything they've offered me with little success. With legs the only would be surgery but it's a two year process an risky due to age. If things had been picked up when I was a kid it would have been an option but not so much as an adult.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I would add snacks in between meals 1 and 2, 2 and 3 and about 2 hours after meal 3, as you might be undereating and it will not help with your goals.

So you could incorporate some snack options in the mid morning, mid afternoon and mid evening like microwave soups, baked beans and rice dishes, oat granola's, ham, turkey, beef, pork and chicken from a packet, low fat cheese, low sugar yoghurt, flax seeds, nuts, peanuts, fruits including tomatoes and cucumber, vegetables including pineapple, raw carrot and celery sticks, pre-boiled eggs, pre-cooked chicken breast and low fat yoghurt, nuts and peanuts, bread, sandwiches.

Some of those are actual snacks and some you would combine to make a snack, but I'm sure you'll work out which are which :).

I'm sorry to read you would need risky surgery on your legs and that does sound like a real headache having to go through a two year process, but it could potentially be worth it in the long run, but obviously you know yourself best, so it's ultimately your decision :).
Rocketpig
STARTING OUT

Post by Rocketpig »

Thanks for the advice :)