Beginner in the Gym

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kaleyanderson
STARTING OUT

Beginner in the Gym

Post by kaleyanderson »

Hello! name is Kaley and I'm 18; I'm a huge newbie to the world of working out. I'm 5'7" and 190 lbs.

biggest issue with myself is stomach; goals are to tone legs and achieve a flat stomach

I obviously also want to lose weight and overall feel healthier and more energized. I'm planning on eating better, of course, too, but that's for a different forum topic.

I have no clue what I'm doing with any of the equipment in gym (Planet Fitness) except for the cardio machines.

I'm afraid to use the workout machines, I'm afraid to use the free weights, and I'm afraid to do bodyweight exercises in the middle of the floor, surrounded by everyone.

Can someone help me muster up a weekly workout routine, preferably with both cardio and strength training.
I also need some tips and tricks about gym anxiety, and how to use basic machinery in the gym :(

Thank you in advance.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Beginner in the Gym

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Kaley, good to speak with you.

Firstly, you should be proud of making your decision and you know you don't need to feel self conscious around the people in the gym, Just remember that those people didn't know anything much when they first walked in and some of them may have felt self conscious too like you have.

The vast majority of people in gyms will either welcome you or ignore you. There will be the very tiny percentage depending on where you train that will be a bit of a loser about certain people and show themselves up, but you could just suck that up and take it if that ever happened or just report those people.

This is a basic routine that should work for you when combined with cardio.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Military Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.

As for the weight I'd use the bars without any weight for shrugs and the other exercises except planks by adding the smallest amount of weight possible to both bars.

Then you increase the weight used by the smallest amount every 2 weeks and increase planks by 5 seconds a week until you're doing 90 seconds of it.

If you need any assistance with how to eat just ask :).

GOOD LUCK
kaleyanderson
STARTING OUT

Post by kaleyanderson »

Thank you so much for your help!! What do you suggest I do for cardio as a beginner?

And for the part about the weight.. I’m a bit confused. Do you suggest I should use no weight for all of the exercises? Or the lightest weight possible for all of the exercises?

Lastly, any tips on eating? I eat pretty bad right now & I’m aware of it, so I’d really like to change that.

Again, thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

30 minutes cardio per time of interval setting on an exercise bike.

As for the weights you're looking ta the smallest dumbbells on shrugs and the second smallest on lunges and military press, then the smallest barbell on rows, deadlifts and squats.

As for the food what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?